Pulling a new 240 volt circuit. Please check my plan.

Old 07-06-04, 02:27 PM
TurnerBurn
Visiting Guest
UPDATE: Pulling a new 240 volt circuit. Please check my plan.

Hey all. Great site! I hope to spend more time here.

I just purchased a new GE Duel fuel (i.e. gas stove, electric convection oven) freestanding range and it needs a 240 volt 4-wire connection. My 1978 built-by-the-lowest-bidder tract home does not have a 240 circuit, thus I need to pull one. Physically, it's doable because my garage wall backs up right to the kitchen where the stove is so I will punch through the wall. I've run a few 110 circuits before so I feel good in my skills to tackle this, but I just want to get some more input.

Here's my approach: It's a 35' run from my breaker pannel to the stove. I'm going to pull 4, #6-gauge wires (B, R, W, G) through 3/4 inch aluminum flex coming from my breaker pannel at the front of my garage, running along the garage wall where the truss meets the wall, then down the wall shared by my kitchen and garage to about 1 foot from the ground and finally through that wall to to a NEMA approved 4-wire recepticle (the one recommended by GE for this range). I'll make my two 90 degree turns (one from the pannel and 1 entering the kitchen through the garage) with 2 Service Entrance EII connectors.

So now for some questions. The specs for the range call for a 40 amp breaker. Would a 50 amp be ok? better? My gut says if the spec says 40 then go with 40. Yes?

I have space in my breaker box (barely) for this extra circuit, however, I noticed that my ground bar can only fit smaller wire, not the 6-guage that I'm running. I did notice a larger wire block for the grounds with 1 open slot, but that still leaves me with no place for the white common. What are my options?

With respect to the issue above, I understand that the green (or the bare wire in some cases) is the earth ground, and the white is the common. In looking at my pannel, it seems (I will verify tonight when I look at my box again) that they both termanate to the same "earth ground". With that said, and if that is correct, why the need for the extra wire other than new code requirements?

Is my choice of wire size overkill? I'm just following the spec recommended by the ratings on the range. I only ask this because I've noticed posts about converting an existing 110 to 220 and I would think that would not be wise given the smaller wire size. I'm sure it all has to do with what you are running off the new 220 line. Yes?

And finally, with regard to using Flex vs. ridged metal pipe conduit, is it better to use one over the other? I chose the flex for ease of making turns, etc.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

Last edited by TurnerBurn; 07-12-04 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 05:07 PM
If the manufacturer calls for a 40-amp breaker, then use a 40-amp breaker. A 50-amp breaker will definitely not be better.

You can use a #10 grounding wire. That should help your connection problems. If you can't fit the #6 neutral in, you can buy an add-on neutral lug.

If this is the panel containing the main disconnect, then terminating neutral and grounding wires to the same place is allowed. Note that this has nothing to do with a connection to dirt. Even though they are terminated to the same place in the panel, they do indeed both need to be there and do indeed do separate jobs. If you want, we'll get into that very complicated subject later when your project is done. No sense polluting this thread with a million words on that subject.

If the range recommends #6, then use #6. Even if you could get by with smaller wire today for this range, you may want a different range some day.

The flexible conduit is fine.

Old 07-06-04, 05:51 PM
TurnerBurn
Visiting Guest
Thanks John for your expert input!

I'm glad that I was thinking along the same lines with regard to the breaker and the wire guage choice. Also, Thanks for the solution for the ground. Yes, this is the main service box and does contain the main disconnect. I noticed that the ground and common all terminate to the same "ground bus" I will connect up both. Yes, I'd love to know more on this "complicated subject" later. I find it interesting and It's good to have the extra knowledge to do the job right and to be safe!

I'll see if I can get the add- on netural lug that you mentioned. I assume it just connects on the existing or empty slot with the same idea (for lack of a better example) as a wall plug expander.

Thanks again! This is a truly good site with good info!

Old 07-12-04, 05:59 PM
TurnerBurn
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Well just wanted to give an update on how my project went. I spent this weekend pulling 40' of 6-gauge wire from my breaker panel to my kitchen. I decided to run Flex conduit in the rafters of my garage and then convert to EMT steel conduit down the wall. I transitioned using a 5-S box. It looks good and turned out nice. Just a word of advice: Always measure 3 times before buying your wire!!! I estimated 38' feet and did a rough measure and got 2' extra. It's a good thing I did because it was exactly 40'! I didn't have a single inch to spare for a good run from my box to the receptacle!

The pull from the breaker box to the receptacle went very smooth. I shoved all 4 wires starting at the breaker panel through at one time and no problem! Once I hit the 5-S box, I pulled the wire out and then continued down to the EMT conduit. Slick!

I did have to relocate 1 breaker in my panel to open space for my duel 40amp monster, and I had to install a ground expander to the breaker panel. Other than that, no problems!

My biggest pain in the butt was extending a 110volt circuit to the cabinet above the stove for the spacemaker microwave oven. Now that that nasty G&S (Gaffers &Sattler) duel oven beast was gone, it opened room for a nuker! Problem was no juice above. I took the feed from the 110 outlet behind the stove and fished it up. I almost hit a water pipe when drilling out the box to run the wire and that would have really sucked!

All considered, it went well. Even had my wife helping me pull the wire. So thanks all for your input (especially John!) Now the wife and I will be able to cook some really great meals!

Old 07-12-04, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you did a great job.