Double tapping ground wires

Old 07-06-04, 08:31 PM
Double tapping ground wires

I am installing a gfci breaker in a siemens box that has one open position.My question is that with the ground,neutral,and white wire from the breaker,I am one opening short on the ground-neutral bus bar.Is it legal to have more than 1 wire in an opening?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-04, 09:13 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
You can double up the bare ground wires but not the white (neutral) wires. There is a reason for this even though the whites and bares terminate on the same bar. Try making a position available by moving a ground wire, if no way to make an opening then ground/neutral bar extentions kits are available or you can buy a single lug......RL
Added thought: Of course power down the panel at the main breaker before doing this.

Last edited by Rlfrazee; 07-06-04 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 05:37 AM
Check the instructions that came with the GFCI breaker. All of the GFCI breakers that I know of require that the neutral wire from the circuit wiring has to go to the _breaker_, then the white tail from the breaker goes to the neutral bar. If you connect the neutral wire from the cable directly to the neutral bar than most (all??) GFCI breakers will trip.

-Jon