good "how to" instructions for outdoor wiring project

Old 07-07-04, 09:01 AM
brian414becky
Visiting Guest
good "how to" instructions for outdoor wiring project

I've spent hours online, and also have looked at the books sold at Home Depot & Menards, but have thus far been unsuccessful at locating a good source of instructions relating to outdoor wiring. Specifically, I am looking to add a double gang box outlet 35 feet from my garage for an above ground pool. One outlet with provide power for the pump, and the second (on a seperate circuit) will be used for a radio, and/ or a low voltage lighting transformer. I have a general idea of what needs to be done, and have done some basic wiring before with no inspection or other issues, when I finshed off the lower level of my house a few years ago.
The pool will be an above ground, 17x31x4, next to a retaining wall, adjacent to the driveway. I will be running under the driveway, and plan to use 3/4" schedule 40 conduit in an 18" deep trench. The wire run will total about 70 feet from the breaker box in the garage. I plan to attach grounding lugs to the pool frame (we're planning a steel tube frame, soft sided pool).
Any advice would be helpful,
BrianW

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-04, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding an outdoor receptacle is a very common DIY project. I've seen this project described in Family Handyman magazine within the last year. I've also seen it in various home wiring books, although I can't give you a specific reference.

Basically, you need to run 12/2 UF-B cable, protected by a GFCI before leaving the house, buried at least 12 inches, and protected by PVC conduit while above ground and down to the bottom of the trench. Mount a weatherproof box with an in-use cover on a 4x4 redwood or pressure-treated post at least ten feet from the pool.

Old 07-07-04, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whoa John,

He cannot use 12-2 UF cable for a pool pump. The pump must be on a 20 amp GFCI circuit, but individual conductors MUST be used, with an insulated ground wire.

As for the ten foot rule, you may not want to plug the pump in that far from the pool. That would mean excessively long hoses orreplacing the cord and plug on the pump. It would be better to place the pump receptacle between five and ten feet from the pool (twist lock type with in use cover), and then place a regular receptacle outlet at least ten feet from the pool.

Pools have very stringent electrical requirements.