2-15 amp breakers, 220??

Old 07-07-04, 09:41 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
2-15 amp breakers, 220??

I am slowly learning more about electrical since owning my house for almost a year. When I bought the house, it said 220 V in the garage. I tested all my plugs and they are 110 V. there is a breaker in the box in the garage that is a double 15 amp. Not sure on the exact terminology. But is this it?? I don't need it at the moment, but eventually... Or is it something else?? Thanks for any replies..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-04, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When I bought the house, it said 220 V in the garage
Your house talks to you?

Most houses are supplied with a 220-volt power supply and have 110-volt receptacles. Most likely yours is too.

The 15-amp double-pole breaker you have probably serves a multiwire circuit.

Do you have electric cooking, electric clothes drying, or electric hot water? These things use 220 volts. Even if you have no 220-volt appliances in your house, most likely you have 220 volts available to you if you need it.

I don't need it at the moment
Post back when you need it for something, and we'll help you figure out how to use it.

Old 07-07-04, 12:44 PM
zig
Visiting Guest
Oh yea i talk to the house on a daily basis... always asking for money... hehehe..

I guess I should have elaborated more. This is in a secondary box in my detached garage. I know there is 220 in the house for the oven. But this will be for an air compressor eventually. I just want to make sure this is 220 before I go get a 220 compressor. I'm assuming the power is there, just no plug wired up. Would wiring up 220 plugs be a diy job?? I think my neighbor is an electrician, I should ask him about it sometime..
Thanks for the reply...

Old 07-07-04, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You'll have to take the panel cover off to see if you have 220 volts. If you have a voltmeter, you can measure between the two main lugs to see if there is 220 volts there. Because one false move and you'll kill yourself taking the panel cover off, don't do it unless you feel comfortable doing so.

So who exactly is the "it" that "said 220 V"?

Old 07-08-04, 06:50 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
I may try that... or talk to my neighbor, he could probably help me.

The listing on the house had said 220 V in the garage. I guess I should have asked the inspector about it. The previous owner passed away. So his parents were at closing. They said, it was out there, he had an air compressor.. So who knows...

I am just somewhat curious of that is. If I come along a good deal on a compressor I need to know if I need to get 220 out there also. More cost involved there... Hopefully the listing wasn't wrong. It's a little late now to go after anyone if theres no 220. It's been almost a year since I bought the house...