Grounding question??


Old 07-07-04, 11:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Grounding question??

I am installing a new 200 amp service panel in a resiendence that is getting a 1200 sq. foot room addition. I am abandoning the original 200 amp panel and will be utilizing it as a sub panel.. I will have a new ufer for the new panel, but will I be able to splice the ground for water & gas from the original panel or will there have to be a new ground for water & gas ran for the new panel?? I know by code you can't splice or break the ufer but not sure about that water/gas issue??? help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 11:32 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 2,117
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the existing Grounding Electrode Conductor to the metalic water-service line is #4 copper, you can extend it's lenth but you MUST use an inspector-approved "ir-reversible" clamp/connector.

An inspector may require a "Supplemental Grounding Electrode in addition to the existing "Primary" G-E.

Bonding/Grounding connections to metal gas-pipes should exist ONLY if the U-G gas service-line is non-metallic.

If the existing Service-panel is converted to a Sub-panel, any & all Neutral-connections in the sub-panel must be "Ground-isolated"--- you must remove any existing connections between the Neutral terminal bar and Ground.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: