Grounding question??

Old 07-07-04, 11:19 AM
rikamy
Visiting Guest
Grounding question??

I am installing a new 200 amp service panel in a resiendence that is getting a 1200 sq. foot room addition. I am abandoning the original 200 amp panel and will be utilizing it as a sub panel.. I will have a new ufer for the new panel, but will I be able to splice the ground for water & gas from the original panel or will there have to be a new ground for water & gas ran for the new panel?? I know by code you can't splice or break the ufer but not sure about that water/gas issue??? help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the existing Grounding Electrode Conductor to the metalic water-service line is #4 copper, you can extend it's lenth but you MUST use an inspector-approved "ir-reversible" clamp/connector.

An inspector may require a "Supplemental Grounding Electrode in addition to the existing "Primary" G-E.

Bonding/Grounding connections to metal gas-pipes should exist ONLY if the U-G gas service-line is non-metallic.

If the existing Service-panel is converted to a Sub-panel, any & all Neutral-connections in the sub-panel must be "Ground-isolated"--- you must remove any existing connections between the Neutral terminal bar and Ground.