Installing outlet in vinyl siding

Old 07-07-04, 04:42 PM
ride_on
Visiting Guest
Installing outlet in vinyl siding

Hi, looking for guidance on the best way to install an electrical outlet in vinyl siding. Can I just cut the vinyl to fit the box and caulk around it? Should I use a recessed mounting block? If so what's the best way to fit the block (with its tabs) into the siding? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-04, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
Old 07-08-04, 10:39 AM
ride_on
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the links. Their installation instructions confirmed what I thought, reomove the flanges from the box and just screw it to the wall after cutting the siding.

Old 07-09-04, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is my "T-O-T-T" for installing a"out-door" fixture outlet-box with vinyl-siding as the exterior wall-finish ( "new work")----

drill a hole in the vinyl siding using a hole-saw with a diameter approx. equal to the diameter of a 3-1/4" octagon box----assemble together a 3-1/4" octagon extension box, a "1900" ring-cover, and a "1900" O-B ( X-B on to R-C, R-C onto O-B).

Screw the "1900" O-B onto a 2" x 4" cleat, set the cleat between the studs so that the front edge of the X-B is flush with the exterior finish, and "nail-in-place".

When the fixture is mounted, it will bear against the box only, not the vinyl siding

Old 08-28-04, 08:42 PM
L.M.S
Visiting Guest
Outlet on vinyl siding

PCBOSS
you have the right anwser to this question. You need a outlet cover box that will allow the siding to move back and forth.

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew41.htm

L.M.S

Last edited by L.M.S; 08-28-04 at 08:43 PM. Reason: post web site