overhead or underground to garage?

Old 07-05-04, 09:57 PM
fishdaddy
Visiting Guest
overhead or underground to garage?

I moved into an old hose with a detached garage. It has had power before because there are switches plugs and a light, and appears that it was overhead power previously, but i cannot say for sure. Would it be better to run electricity to the garage underground? If so what is involved. I have replaced switches and minor stuff but nothing like this before.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-04, 06:04 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Before answering that question, you need to answer some questions first.

Is any of the wiring in the garage such that you intend to use it? Is it in good enough shape to use and is it modern? Or will you be running completely new wiring and fixtures in the garage?

What are your electrical requirements in the garage? Do you just need a light or two and a few convenience outlets, or do you want run power tools, or other heavy use equipment. Is there a need for 220 volts? What is the distance to the garage from the house?

Old 07-09-04, 12:10 PM
fishdaddy
Visiting Guest
racraft,

no, I do not intend on using the current wiring, it looks old and dated. I only need to hook up a garage door opener and a few convienence plugs. The distance from house to garage is approx. 28 ft.

Thanks

Old 07-09-04, 12:34 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, I suggest you rip out all the electrical stuff that is currently in the garage. It's undoubtedly old and probably unsafe. Then dig a trench from the house to the garage, at least a foot deep. Then bury 12/2 UF-B cable at the bottom of the trench. Use 3/4" PVC conduit to bring the cable up from the bottom of the trench at each end and into the structure. At the house, I recommend you run the 12/2 to the load side of a new GFCI receptacle. Then run 12/2 NM-B from the line side of the GFCI to the panel, attachint it to a new 20-amp breaker there. At the garage, you can use it to power your switches, lights, and receptacles. This is just an overview. Any book on home wiring will fill in the details. It's a good project for a DIY. You may wish to enlist the aid of a pro to make the connections inside the panel.

We're here for questions along the way.

Old 07-10-04, 09:31 AM
fishdaddy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of your help! It will be a while before I do it, but I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: