power supply

Old 07-11-04, 07:28 AM
tony wood
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
power supply

I want to buy an electrical toolfrom the USA which states that the tool runs on 120volts 13 amps. What do i needto buy to run this tool in the UK
Many thanks
Old 07-12-04, 09:44 AM
hornetd's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 646
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The answer very much depends on the tool you are talking about. For Some tools you would only need a step down transformer that will handle the 13 Amps of current the tool requires. In other rarer cases you would need to buy a motor alternator set which is an AC generator that is driven by an electric motor. An example of the earlier would be a simple electric drill. An example of the latter would be a microchip controlled repeating pattern lathe. We installed a rather large motor alternator set at the French chancery building many years ago to allow the occupants to plug in there household appliances that they had brought along from France. A motor alternator set is driven by a synchronous electric motor that is wired for the local voltage which turns an AC generator (Alternator) that is geared to turn at the speed needed to produce the desired frequency. The alternator and it's drive motor are sized to produce the amount of power that you require.
Tom H

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: