A wiring technique for your new home.

Old 07-12-04, 10:12 AM
A wiring technique for your new home.

If you want to build true flexibility into your new home's wiring system then consider installing Surface Metal Raceway in place of the base boards in any space were the electrical layout will need to be changed. The Wiremold company makes a multi compartment raceway, which has removable covers, that can be installed in place of baseboard. When a wiring change or addition is needed you pry the cover loose and lay the new wiring in the appropriate compartment of the raceway. The interior finish of the building need not be disturbed. The size that I'm suggesting is the 4000 series. It measures 4&3/4 inches high and has a depth of 1&3/4 inches.

I am not shilling for Wiremold as I have no financial interest in the company. I just happen to believe that this particular product could save the owners of up scale homes a lot of aggravation when electrical and communications wiring needs to be rearranged or upgraded.
--
Tom H

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 05:22 PM
Thats a great idea. A lot of things about homes are really primitive and the lack of accessable utility raceways is one of them. A lot of the housing in Japan is now modular metal framed pre-engineered. Here the home is built then someone comes along and says,,, where should we put the electric panel? This looks like a good spot. Way too many decisions left to the last minute and just shoehorned in. I seen one the other day that had the panel and entrance on the wrong end of the house. The poco feed came overhead all the way down to one end and thru riser to the panel in the basement, then all the big electric appliances were on the other end. Hundreds of feet of extra wire, lots of it big. It would have been ok to feed the bedrooms with long circuits but the kitchen and utilitys? Range and water heater? This was done by contractor too. Maybe Sparky was getting paid by the foot?