Flexible Conduit

Old 07-12-04, 01:37 PM
Flexible Conduit

Have a question for the group on flexible conduit. I am running schd 80 conduit for a project from the house to a shed but need something to connect to the PVC from inside the house to the service panel. It currently is stubbed about 2 inches into through the wall. I do not have the room to run 1 1/2 schd 80 all the way from the entry point to the service panel (roughly two feet straight line distance). Per the county inspectors I cannot have free floating conductors heading from the pipe stub to the panel, the conduit must terminate in the box. I have the room either at the large knockout on the lower left or the bottom to attach to the box but I don't have a clue on what I can use to bridge the gap from the schd 80 to the panel. The inspector mentioned ENT or EMT (not sure which) but I know I need some thing that will carry 4 #2 THHN copper conductors and connect to the PVC conduit. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-04, 06:11 PM
I somehow doubt the inspector suggested ENT {EMT maybe}. Why dont you have the room to go the extra 2' to the panel? You can get there by making a PVC nipple using a peice of 1 1/2",two male adapters & one female adapter. The female goes on the stub coming thru the wall, the males go on a peice of the sch.80 {cut to the appropriate length},just connect 1 end to the female & the other to the panel.Or if you like just get a piece of sealtite {1 1/2"},a female adapter {for the stub} & asealtite connector for the panel.You'll find that sealtite that size isn't very flexable but it's more flexable than the sch 80 and will protect the conductors better than the ENT.This should meet with the inspectors approval,good luck

Old 07-12-04, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by ampz
I somehow doubt the inspector suggested ENT {EMT maybe}. Why dont you have the room to go the extra 2' to the panel? You can get there by making a PVC nipple using a peice of 1 1/2",two male adapters & one female adapter. The female goes on the stub coming thru the wall, the males go on a peice of the sch.80 {cut to the appropriate length},just connect 1 end to the female & the other to the panel.Or if you like just get a piece of sealtite {1 1/2"},a female adapter {for the stub} & asealtite connector for the panel.You'll find that sealtite that size isn't very flexable but it's more flexable than the sch 80 and will protect the conductors better than the ENT.This should meet with the inspectors approval,good luck
The basement walls were furred within an inch or so of the sides of the box and the basement paneling was only furred off the block an inch or so (Half assed finished basement from the 70's). The sealtite sounds the best as I will need to make two or three bends to make the connection. How does the sealtite fit the female adapter?

Old 07-14-04, 07:33 PM
I forgot to mention that part {brain fart} you'll need another Sealtite connector to thread into the female adapter from the PVC.How many bends will you need, in that short distance? By code you cannot have more than 4 quarter bends {360deg.} between pull points. Becareful not to make the bends in the sealtite to sharp,it will kink & bind.You may want to use what is called an LB fitting the same size of the conduit.Its made to make sharp bends around walls & will make wire pulling easier.