Is this a fair price?

Old 07-12-04, 09:39 PM
paulp412
Visiting Guest
Is this a fair price?

Remove old service entrance wiring and fuse panel. Supply and install new 100 amp 120/240 volt service entrance wiring, meter panel, and 100 amp 30 circuit breaker panel. $1250.00

Is this a good price? I would like to do it myself, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. The old panel (60amp) is against the wall in the basement that goes out to the back yard. There is also a seperate box with breakers on the other side of the basement. Can I leave those breakers alone or should I wire back to the new box? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-04, 09:55 PM
The price is in the right ballpark.

I suggest you ask how much 200-amp service would cost you. Might as well set yourself up for all time the first time. It might not cost that much more.

Be sure to ask what kind of panel you are getting. Also be sure to ask how many spaces it has in it. You said it is a 30-breaker panel, but how many spaces? When I was asking about 200-amps, I'd also ask how much for a 40-space SquareD panel?

I can't really comment on that separate box since I don't know what it is, where it gets its power, or what it serves.

Panel replacement is not a good DIY job.

Old 07-13-04, 06:41 PM
paulp412
Visiting Guest
Thanks John

It will cost me an extra $200 for 150Amps and I'm not sure if he said $300 or $400 for 200Amps. Is it worth the difference? He tells me that I don't need more than 100 anyway. He said that the 30 circuit panel has 30 spaces. He also said that I knew too much, after asking him about the 40 space squareD panel

Old 07-13-04, 07:21 PM
Whether 100 amps and 30 spaces is enough for you depends on the size of your house, the type of your major appliances, and your future plans. I can't really say.

If you have future plans, make sure your electrician knows about them and accommodates them.

Old 07-13-04, 08:00 PM
Hey Paul, I'm not an electrician [just ask the experts who answer the questions in my posts, lol], but it may not hurt to get a second or third job appraisal and quote from a couple other qualified electricians. I would, whether it was electrical, roofing, tree trimming, etc. Might help put your mind at ease and the competition may trim the cost of the job down. Good luck, Mike