one power supply, two switches.

Old 07-14-04, 01:02 PM
iamwhatiseem
Visiting Guest
one power supply, two switches.

Hello, we are redoing our kitchen, and I have added a light one on side of the room. I have a power supply coming up that goes to the outside patio light. I want to tap into this to also supply a second switch for the new interior light.
So, I will have 1 power supply, a switch that operates an outside light, and a switch that operates a second light.
Other than splicing and creating "jumpers" to go to the new switch, is there another way, it sure makes the things crowded.
THank You

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-04, 01:14 PM
What do you mean by power supply? Do you mean wires that supply power?

Old 07-14-04, 01:17 PM
iamwhatiseem
Visiting Guest
yes. Sorry, power supply can mean different things

Old 07-14-04, 01:46 PM
The solutions to crowded boxes are (1) a deeper box, (2) a wider box (e.g., double-gang), and (3) an additional box.

Old 07-14-04, 01:51 PM
iamwhatiseem
Visiting Guest
So there is no other way? Than creating the jumpers?
Kinda what I thought, I do have a double box btw.

Old 07-15-04, 03:46 AM
There are rules for the number of conductors and wiring devices that you can place in a box. If the box is crowded, then you may have too many things in there to be legal. How about telling us the following:
How large is the box (don't just say 'double', say how wide, high, and deep. If the box has a cubic inch marking, tell us that.)
Do you have cable or conduit?
If you have cable, how many cables enter the box.
What sort of cable (12-2 romex, 12-3 mc, with ground, without ground, etc)
If you have conduit, how many total wires enter the box, and what colors are they?

A simple trick that you could use which will open things up:
Buy a 'duplex' switch. This fits the same sort of opening as a standard duplex receptacle, but has two switches. The feed side even has the little jumper like a duplex receptacle, so you don't need a jumper at all; you just wire your supply to one of the two feed terminals, and you get two separate switched terminals on the other side.

If you box fill is legal, but things are still a bit too tight to be comfortable, then there are several tricks that you could use. One possibility is to use a commercial grade 'back wired' switch with terminals designed so that two wires can be landed at each terminal. Then you can feed the first switch and jumper from there to the second switch, without using a wirenut and pigtails.

-Jon