sub panel wiring

Old 07-14-04, 08:24 PM
wld_drvr
Visiting Guest
sub panel wiring

I am installing a sub panel box in my garage. Currently I have a single pole 20 am breaker with 14/2 ground running to the garage and is wired into a single cartage 30 amp breaker. From there it is wired into a breaker box with 4 30 amp glass fuses. I was planning on leaving the single pole 20 amp breaker at the main panel ( the main panel is a six breaker panel and it is full with no extra spaces) and run 12/2 from there to the sub panel in the garage. Since I have only one hot wire I know I can only wire up one main lug and use only three of the circuit brakers. My question is can I run a jumper wire from one hot main lug to the other hot main lug and use all six breakers. At the present time I will only need two breakers at the most but I might want to add more later. Thanks in advance to all who replies to this post.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-04, 08:42 PM
Yes.......

Old 07-17-04, 05:53 AM
Yankee112916
Visiting Guest
Smile Send More Info

Originally Posted by wld_drvr
I am installing a sub panel box in my garage. Currently I have a single pole 20 am breaker with 14/2 ground running to the garage and is wired into a single cartage 30 amp breaker. From there it is wired into a breaker box with 4 30 amp glass fuses. I was planning on leaving the single pole 20 amp breaker at the main panel ( the main panel is a six breaker panel and it is full with no extra spaces) and run 12/2 from there to the sub panel in the garage. Since I have only one hot wire I know I can only wire up one main lug and use only three of the circuit brakers. My question is can I run a jumper wire from one hot main lug to the other hot main lug and use all six breakers. At the present time I will only need two breakers at the most but I might want to add more later. Thanks in advance to all who replies to this post.
Dear Wld_Drvr First lets start at the main panel,if u have a 20amp breaker
with 14;2 running to the garage,this is both wrong an dangerous,conductor size must match breaker size.14;2 15amp 12:2 20amp 10:2 30amp an so on,Its ok to under size the breaker to wire,but never over size,Post Back,lets see what u are going to using in the garage,always plan for future updates
in there,that way we can determine what size breaker an conductores u will need .Hope this helped you, Yankee Electrican

Old 07-18-04, 04:16 PM
Glenn Hoaks
Visiting Guest
Question power loss from main breaker box

electrical/computer engineer Bob, Recently the ground was interrupted on the Power Company's side of my meter. They came out and fixed it (I think) and also replaced my meter for some reason. Since then for some reason I have only partial amps coming from my breaker box to the mobile home. From a 30 amp breaker I am only receiving around 12 amps. Any idea? Also several of my circuits in the mobile home indicate that they have an open ground. I also have found outlets that indicate a hot/neu. reversal. Any idea? I appreicate any light you can give. Thanks

Old 07-18-04, 04:40 PM
From a 30 amp breaker I am only receiving around 12 amps. Any idea?
I'm not sure this makes any sense. A breaker does not supply amps. It limits amps. So when you say you're only getting about 12 amps, do you mean that the breaker trips at 12 amps? If the breaker doesn't trip, then it can't be the reason you're only getting 12 amps. The load pulls as many amps as it wants, and the breaker's only job is to make sure it doesn't pull more than 30.

Also several of my circuits in the mobile home indicate that they have an open ground.
Well, then they probably do have an open ground. Depending on age, perhaps they never had a ground in the first place. Or may the did have a ground at some point, and that ground has become disconnected. If there is a grounding wire in the box, make sure it is well connected, then start working your way back to the panel in all the other boxes on the circuit and checking the grounding connections in each box.

I also have found outlets that indicate a hot/neu. reversal.
This is usually easy to fix. Look for outlets where the black wire might be on a silver screw, and a white wire on a brass screw, and reverse them.

Old 07-22-04, 06:18 AM
Yankee112916
Visiting Guest
Cool Start at source

Originally Posted by Glenn Hoaks
electrical/computer engineer Bob, Recently the ground was interrupted on the Power Company's side of my meter. They came out and fixed it (I think) and also replaced my meter for some reason. Since then for some reason I have only partial amps coming from my breaker box to the mobile home. From a 30 amp breaker I am only receiving around 12 amps. Any idea? Also several of my circuits in the mobile home indicate that they have an open ground. I also have found outlets that indicate a hot/neu. reversal. Any idea? I appreicate any light you can give. Thanks
First lets start at the mail panel,shut your main breaker off,than with a volt meter set at the highest voltage check across the main breaker,it should read 220 -240 volts,if that checks out check out one line at a time ,place one lead on one side of breaker & one on the neutral& grd bar ,it should read 115-120 volts,do the same with the other wire on the breaker,doing this first will tell if there is a problem on the line side of the panel,its the place to start.
post back & let us know. yankee