Need Help

Old 07-15-04, 09:38 AM
RobynJordan
Visiting Guest
Need Help

My husband decided to put in a new celing fan in our kitchen. The one that we had in there before was wired so that when you flipped the switch the light would come on, but you could run the fan even if the switch was off by pulling the chain. Well, when we took the old fan down there were about 12 different wires coming out some for the breakfast nook and for the outside light. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to wire this new celing fan in or knows a web site with a diagram that can give us an idea. We have wired many celing fans in our house and have never run into this before. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-04, 09:45 AM
I suppose it's too late to wire it like the previous fan/light. Do you at least know what wires were attached to the previous fan/light?

What you need to do is to figure out which hot wire is hot all the time, and which hot wire is switched hot. Then just connect those wires appropriately. You also of course need to connect the neutral and ground wire correctly also.

Old 07-15-04, 09:52 AM
mgb
So I take it your husband didn't mark down what went to what? Do you happen to see a white wire connected to one or more black wires? If so then this white wire along with the black wire that's in the same sheathing would be your switch loop. The fan wire would connect to the same connection as the white switch loop wire. The black wire from the switch would connect to the light wire. You should have a connection where the neutrals(white wires) are tied together, connect the white wire(s) from the fan/light to this. And don't forget the grounds. If there isn't a switch loop let me know.

Old 07-15-04, 11:38 AM
There should only have been 4 wires including the ground attached to the fan/light. Did he disconnect all the other wires as well as the ones atached to the fan?
Tell us what is still intact and what is disconnected.