Wiring Identification

Old 07-16-04, 01:29 PM
losin' it
Visiting Guest
Red face Wiring Identification

First of all, pardon my complete lack of knowledge on this subject. I have always changed out light fixtures, ceiling fans, etc., for my aging mother - her home is over 40 years old, but her wiring seems "normal". When changing out ceiling light fixtures, her wiring is thin and flexible, and matches every diagram shown in installation instructions for fixtures. MY home is 12 years old, but the wiring looks completely different. I have replaced ceiling fans with no problem, but yesterday I was changing out a ceiling light fixture (just your ordinary incandescent, plain 2 bulb overhead), and the wiring was something I had never seen before. I have no idea how to proceed. I do not have the flexible wiring - it is all thick and rigid and looks like copper. This particular spot has 2 of these rigid black wires wound together, 2 white ones wound together, and one small flexible white wire. The old fixture had a copper ground that attached to the hanger - as does the new fixture. The old fixture that was in place was never used because it would smoke - as though the insulation between the fixture and the ceiling were on fire - which is why I wanted to replace it.

Can anyone tell me what kind of hook-up this is and how I use it? What is the small white wire, and why are these huge wires wound together?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-04, 01:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What was the small white wire connected to? What were the group of black and the group of white wires connected to?

The reason that the other wires are wound together is that the wiring goes through to other circuits. This is a common way of wiring.

Do you have a tester? There should be power between the black and white "bunches" of wires.

Is there a switch controlling this light? I suspect that the small white wire may be switched power. With a tester you can confirm this.

Old 07-16-04, 09:19 PM
losin' it
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your reply. I don't have a tester but certainly wish I did. The large black and white wires were each connected to wires leading to the back of the bulb sockets (2 of them). I can't remember what the small white wire was attached to.....it was a mess with everything wrapped in electrical tape, then placed together and wrapped again. Then it looks like someone came along and decided to wrap it all again. It took me 15 minutes just to find the connectors! I think you are right about the small wire being for switched power. (the fixture is switch controlled) I hooked it up this evening and just capped off the small white wire. What happened was that the wall switch did nothing, but as soon as bulbs were put in they lit up. So I made it "live" all the time by leaving off the small wire.

Where is the small white wire supposed to be connected?

Last question: what type of wiring is this that I have? This fixture is the only one I have run across so far with the wires twisted together, but all my other fixture wiring is heavy, very rigid, and looks like solid copper. I have not seen any of these when replacing fixtures at my mother's home - hers are all small and flexible with wire strands vs. solid. My wiring never matches any diagram - which is a real pain for those of us who have no idea what we are doing.

I appreciate your help. Thanks for being patient with the electrically impaired.

Old 07-17-04, 06:08 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A tester is available at most home centers for a few dollars. I recommend buying one. It's much easier to use a tester than it is to connect up your fixture.

Try testing between the white bunch of wires and the single white wire. I am thinking that is switched. If that doesn't work then try testing between the black bunch of wires and the single white wire.

It would also help if you examine the wiring at the switch, but you may be reluctant to do that.

I can't comment too much on your wiring without seeing it. Wiring has changes much over the years. As I said before, it is common for wiring to enter a box, serve the box and then go elsewhere. Obviously this happens with receptacle outlets, as you have more than one on a circuit and all the wires don;t go back to the panel or fuse box.

As far as types of wire, there is stranded wire (usually individual conductors pulled through conduit), there is solid wire pulled through conduit, and there is cable. Cable is solid wire contained in it's own cloth (old) or plastic (new) protective sheath.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: