Electric to Gas Cooktop Conversion

Old 07-16-04, 06:28 AM
bakerch2
Visiting Guest
Electric to Gas Cooktop Conversion

I am converting my electric cooktop to natural gas and I need help on the electrical. The old electric cooktop was on a 220v 30amp breaker but the new gas cooktop requires a 120v circuit. The cooktop is surrounded with brick and it is very difficult to pull an adjacent 120v connection beneath the cabinet.

Here are my options as I see them:

1. Replace the current breaker in the main panel with a 120v 20amp breaker and use the existing 220v wiring.

2. Pull 120v power from the attic and run it down the wall along side the gas connection. This will be easy but it will put the cooktop power on the attic breaker which will be a little strange.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 09:31 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Chris

I am neither a licensed gas line installation plumber, whom does the gas piping, if that is needed. Not mentioned by you as needing to be done. Nor am I a licensed electrician qualified to provide you with that help needed.

But I do know where you will get professional help on the web site....

I am copying this question into the electrical forum, where the real pros are and whom can help you with the electrical question you asked.

Old 07-16-04, 09:49 AM
Personally I would run a new circuit from the panel into the attic and down the wall to where you need it.

I would leave the 220 line as is, but turned off at the panel. The 220 line may or may not be such that it could be used in the future if someone want to convert back to electric cooking.

Old 07-16-04, 12:21 PM
Is the 220 wire 4 wire? I.E. - White/Black/Red/Ground.....if it is I don't see why you couldn't use it for the 110 power, tape off the red wire at both ends, connect the black to the 110 breaker, white to neutral bar, ground to ground bar, then of course proper connections at the stove end, and your done. As racraft said, I would leave the wire intact for future use if it was ever needed.(dont CUT the red conductor, just tape/wirenut it, especially at the panel end make SURE it's not going to touch ANYTHING at all).

if its 3 wire.....you could use the extra conductor for th ground conductor if you tape it with green tape to identify it as such.