6 Volt Electrical system

Old 07-18-04, 11:08 AM
korhojoa
Visiting Guest
Question 6 Volt Electrical system

Hi, i'd like to introduce a 6 Volt electrical system to my moped (I posted this here, because I thought that it was more of an electrical thing because of the six volts), and i'm kind of having a problem.

I know that it charges with about ~6 volts +-0.7 volts, and I'd like to know how to make a charge controller for it, so that it does not "overcharge" or "undercharge" the battery, thus shortening it's life-span, anyone know how to make one? I was thinking of buying a 6 volt beetle charge controller, but it would cost me quite much, so i was thinking of a easy DIY-thing.

Parts that I have:

6 VDC switchover relay 20 Amps at 120 V, It switches on at 3 volts/off at 0.9 Volts.

I'm soon going to buy a battery for it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-04, 05:06 PM
Why not make it 12VDC (like most vehicles) and use a motorcycle battery. Then you could charge it with a trickle charger (i saw one for about $10 at the auto parts store)

Old 07-19-04, 04:55 AM
korhojoa
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by scott e.
Why not make it 12VDC (like most vehicles) and use a motorcycle battery. Then you could charge it with a trickle charger (i saw one for about $10 at the auto parts store)

Because i just bought a 6 Volt battery, and the thing gives out 6 Volts.

So i thought that it'd be easier to make the battery six volts, and be able to charge it like that, but then have a transformer (?) to up the voltage for devices to 12 V

Old 07-19-04, 05:45 AM
I second the suggestion of the 12 V battery. Way cheaper in the long run. Batteries (DC) can't just use a simple transformer (for AC).

Old 07-19-04, 07:54 AM
korhojoa
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by kuhurdler
I second the suggestion of the 12 V battery. Way cheaper in the long run. Batteries (DC) can't just use a simple transformer (for AC).
What do you mean? Cheaper?? How?

So how am i going to convert to 12 volts then?

Except for having to buy a new battery

Old 07-19-04, 08:36 AM
Easier and safer than trying to build your own battery charger:

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/...ery_tender.htm

Old 07-19-04, 09:49 AM
korhojoa
Visiting Guest
Talking

I didn't mean a Wall charger! A Charge-controller! You know, the ones that prevent your car battery from overcharging.

That is what i need.

Old 07-20-04, 01:19 PM
Is there already an alternator or generator on the moped? If not, then adding one will not be that straight forward. They typically are built into the engine, so unless you get one that might run off of your back tire (like the light I had for my bicycle when I was a kid) you might be SOL. If you don't have the alternator/generator you could still add the battery, but you will need to buy a charger and plug it in to recharge.

Old 07-21-04, 06:17 AM
korhojoa
Visiting Guest
Yea, there's an alternator on it. I thought so too that i'd need to charge it myself inside. Oh well, thanks. But if anyone figures a way, then please tell me.

Old 07-21-04, 09:03 AM
If there is an alternator already on the moped, then what is its output? 12V, 6V? It is probably 12V. In any event, it sounds like it was set up originally with an electical system. If that is the case, it should have some sort of voltage regulator system on board. Then you need to add a battery that matches that system. If you do otherwise, you will run into a rats nest of additional changes to work with a different voltage.