Bathroom fan light heatlamps

Old 07-19-04, 03:45 AM
golf4me
Visiting Guest
Bathroom fan light heatlamps need help to wire

Hi,Brought a bathroom 3 in 1 ,Trouble is the heat lamps has 2 toggle switches that you can have 1 or 2 heat lamps going,I can only get 2 at once have 4 wires going to the unit in the ceiling back to the wall switch what am I doing wrong,I live in new zealand and the colour code is,,red Positive..black negative.with green..earth,I have power ok to the light and fan.

Last edited by golf4me; 07-19-04 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-04, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by golf4me
Hi,Brought a bathroom 3 in 1 ,Trouble is the heat lamps has 2 toggle switches that you can have 1 or 2 heat lamps going,I can only get 2 at once have 4 wires going to the unit in the ceiling back to the wall switch what am I doing wrong,I live in new zealand and the colour code is,,red Positive..black negative.with green..earth,I have power ok to the light and fan.
All connections to your house's electrical wiring in New Zealand must be performed by a registered electrician (Electricity Act of 1992, Section 110). Refer to
http://www.ess.govt.nz/rules/rules_acts.asp

Homeowners are permitted to perform wiring, but it must be inspected by a licensed electrican who will issue a Certificate of Compliance before connecting the new wiring to the supply. You are dealing with 240 volts to ground which will kill you as soon as look at you; almost all of the posts you read here are based on slightly less deadly 120V circuits.

There is no such thing as positive or negative in an AC system, the terms you are looking for are:
Phase (called 'Hot' in the US): Brown (was red pre 1980).
Neutral (also Neutral in the US): Blue (was black).
Earth (often called 'Ground'): Green with yellow stripe (was solid green)

Bottom line: Get someone to do it who has made this their profession.

Andy