dead outlets

Old 07-19-04, 01:24 PM
dead outlets

one outside oulet was short circuit which caused all 3 bathrooms and 1 garage outlets to go out too but the main circuit breaker did not trip. I have put in countless of hours to locate the breakage in line and so far I don't have any success in finding any kind of breakers(outlet or blank gfci, etc.) that associate with it.
Is it possible that the connection are broken inside the wall by short circuit and rewiring is the only way?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-04, 02:08 PM
Sounds like a tripped GFCI. Look in the garage, especially behind all that stuff you stored there the day you moved in and haven't touched since.

Old 07-19-04, 02:19 PM
last Fall, I used the compress in the garage and it tripped the main circuit breaker but I managed to get it back on again.

anyway, I find no gfci in the garage but I will give it a try again. I even went up to attic in the garage to look for it. Nothing

Old 07-19-04, 05:34 PM
First, I suggest you devote another solid hour looking for a GFCI. I can't tell you how many times we've had to give this advice six times before the GFCI is finally found.

If it isn't the GFCI, then you likely have a connection that has come loose. Often, this is a failed backstab (wire poked into a hole). These connections are very unreliable. Or sometimes a wire comes out of an improperly applied wire nut. At any rate, it's a time-consuming process of looking in all the boxes on the circuit. Don't just look in the non-working outlets. You have to look in all the working ones too.

Old 07-19-04, 09:44 PM
But first I want thank you for your encouragement, John.

Not having electricity for two weeks, it's so inconvenient and we take it for granted everyday. You just never thought about it until it happens to you.

I agree that it must be GFCI that cut-off the flow but where can you find it. The places were turned over many times and I don't believe I miss anything neither inside or outside because I do maintenance all the time. I think I have used up 25 hours already.

The house was built in 1988 and during those time did the law required builders to put in GFCI in all the wet locations.

Do you have any ways to narrowing the search for bad connections?

Thanks again.

Old 07-19-04, 09:58 PM
There probably aren't more than a dozen outlets on this circuit. Check them all. It won't take that long.