Making electrical wiring safe

Old 07-20-04, 07:29 PM
Richtee
Visiting Guest
Making electrical wiring safe

I've just removed a suspended ceiling which housed a flourescent light.
There are 3 grey wires going into the light fitting.

Do these wires need to be connected to a definate connection terminal on a new fitting, or doesn't it matter.

Also if I removed the old light and didn't want to put up a new light straight away, would connecting the ceiling wires to a terninal block make it safe?

Last edited by Richtee; 07-20-04 at 07:32 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-04, 09:09 PM
Feed the wires into a permanently accessible junction box, probably mounted on a joist above the drop ceiling. Put a wire nut on each wire individually to isolate them, coil them up and pack them into the box, and put a blank cover plate on the box.

Old 08-03-04, 11:23 AM
Richtee
Visiting Guest
Making wiring safe update

Hi John
Thanks for the reply.
I managed to fit a new light in but I changed the backing plate of the light switch in the wall cos I couldn't get the screws to line up and put the switches back on.

Anyhow I have a new problem.
I changed the face plate of the switches, it has 2 switches 1 to control the kitchen, 1 to control the dining room.
But to turn either lights on, the switch operates upside down. That is up for on Down for off.

My mate said turn the plate upside down and re-screw in place.
But has it got something to do with one/way or two way connections in the switch wiring for the red wire. I think I wired it for 2 way thinking it mean't 2 switches.

2.Secondly I have an old burgular alarm in the house which is turned off.
what would I have to do with the wiring leading to the pirs that I don't need.

Could I tape up the end of the wire with insulation tape and plaster it in the wall or is that dangerous. Ie could the wire still be live?

Regards
Richtee.

Old 08-03-04, 11:49 AM
Richtee,

Your terminology is very confusing.

What do you mean by face plate?

You say "to turn either lights on, the switch operates upside down. That is up for on Down for off." That is normal. A 2 way switch is usually up for on and down for off. How id this backwards?

Please describe the witing a little better and what you have done to the switches.

As for the burglar alarm wiring, what wires are you referring to? Low voltage wires, or regular electrical wires? With any wires you want to abandon, it is always best to find both ends and make sure that neither end is connected to anything.

Old 08-03-04, 11:59 AM
You say "to turn either lights on, the switch operates upside down. That is up for on Down for off." That is normal. A 2 way switch is usually up for on and down for off. How id this backwards?
His use of 'mate' makes me think Richtee is an Aussie or a Kiwi (like me). And down under, switches are up for off, down for on. If I'm right then he's working with 240V and had better be careful - both of the lethal voltage and the law, which (probably as a consequence of the voltage) is much more restrictive than here.

Andy

Old 08-04-04, 03:20 AM
Richtee
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi Andy/ Bob

No I'm not from the southern hemisphere,although I went to NZ and OZ in 1991/1992 backpacking.
Sorry about the terminology.

pressing up the light comes on.
Pressing down the light turns off.

So turning the switches upside down and screwing back into the wall will solve it.
My question is if there are 2 switches for 2 different lights, up and down switches. On/off.
Should the live wire be connected to 1 way or 2 way.

Any clearer?

Old 08-04-04, 05:11 AM
No, still confusing. What does "Should the live wire be connected to 1 way or 2 way." mean?