Wiring for 3-way switch

Old 07-21-04, 11:56 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Wiring for 3-way switch

I have five fluorescent fixtures which I will install in my basement. Due to the layout, the new wiring will run first from the electric panel to the five fixtures and then to the two 3-way switches (one will be located in the basement and the other one upstairs). I plan to use 14/2 cable from the panel to the five fixtures and 14/3 cable between the two 3-way switches. I know how to do the wiring between the two 3-way switches but I am not sure how to wire the five fixtures and terminate the 14/2 cable to the first 3-way. I have an empty breaker space in my panel and I have bought a 15A breaker (again I have no problem doing the installation / wiring at the panel). I will appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 07-22-04, 01:40 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
Light Switching

Have you thought about wiring from the panel to the switches then to the fixtures. I guess you have not chose to do this due to the one switch being upstairs.

The way i would wire the fixtures, would be to connect incoming power source like this the hot wire to a nut and the neutral to the fixtures neutral. Then take another wire from the first switch to the fixture and connect the black to the black in the nut and the white wire which should have some black tape around it to mark it as switched hot, connect to the live connection on the fixture. Then the other fixtures can daisy chain off the first light.

I am in the Uk so this is how i would wire it, sorry if its a bit confusing. Im trying to learn how your methods work but they seem pretty similar. Hope this helps you.

Old 07-22-04, 02:29 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
I have drawn a diagram if you would like to see, my idea.

http://www.zenadsl5559.zen.co.uk/Wiring.jpg

Thanks
Ian

Old 07-23-04, 11:55 AM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
You need 14/3 between the fixtures. The only 14/2 you will use is from the panel to the first fixture.

Old 07-23-04, 12:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I know how to do the wiring between the two 3-way switches.
No you don't. Your wiring diagram is terribly wrong on the 3-way switches. We can help you fix that once you settle on the cable routing question.

Here are three of your more common cabling options. I will use "-" to indicate 14/2 and "=" to indicate 14/3:
  1. Power-S1=S2-L1-L2-L3-L4-L5.
  2. Power-L1-S1=S2, and L1-L2-L3-L4-L5.
  3. Power-L5=L4=L3=L2=L1-S1=S2.
I prefer #1 to #2, and #2 to #3, just for simplicity of connections.

Note that your options most definitely do not include
  • Power-L5-L4-L3-L2-L1-S1=S2.

Old 07-26-04, 01:16 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
How is the diagram of the wiring incorrect, could you post how you would wire the switches please,

Old 07-26-04, 06:34 AM
J
The correct wiring depends on which option you pick. There are a million ways to do it right and a million ways to do it wrong. Your diagram is one of the million wrong ways. I'd rather not describe all million of the right ways. Pick the option you prefer, and we'll work with that one.

Old 07-26-04, 07:23 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
why dont you just describe one of the right ways, we dont need a million

Old 07-26-04, 07:52 AM
J
Old 07-27-04, 12:34 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
My method would work though, in the uk its called the conversion method.
Or could you explain why it wouldnt work, im just trying to learn about other countrys wiring systems.

Thanks
Ian

Old 07-27-04, 08:03 AM
J
Okay, I screwed up twice. First, I didn't notice that the diagram was posted by Snape, and not by the original poster. Second, I now have to amend my comment to say that there are a million and one ways to make a 3-way work, since Snape's diagram would indeed work. However, it seems more complicated than it needs to be, and I don't see any advantage to it.

Old 07-27-04, 10:30 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The problem I see with Snape's diagram is that it requires that pigtails (or a switch capable of multiple contacts per connector) be used. This is more labor (and cost) intensive. For a few switches it isn't a big deal, but imagine doing numerous switches in this manner.

Old 07-28-04, 12:13 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
I can see how it would be more difficult as you cant easyily connect multiple wires to the connection screws, as in the uk the connectors are more adaptable to this technique. The advantage of this is that you do not need to run two cables from each switch back to the fixture, you can just run one cable to the downstairs switch and then one from switch to switch.
This is the technique widely used in the Uk, sorry if i confused you guys i was just wondering if you did similar.

Thanks
Ian

Old 07-28-04, 06:27 AM
J
Snape, the alternate method, which would be common in the U.S., uses exactly the same number of wires and cables in exactly the same places. The only difference is the connections in the boxes. Check out the "Power source at fixture" link on the page I posted earlier.

Last edited by John Nelson; 07-28-04 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 12:18 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
I have looked at that method in the link and yeah its very similar, thanks John for going through this with me, im just trying to understand as many methods as possible. This site is really usefull learning resource.

Thanks
Ian

Old 08-01-04, 01:24 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Wiring for 3-way switch

Sorry I didnt reply any sooner, I was travelling. Thank you all for your time. My wiring was completed thru the help of a friend and is similar to the wiring from the site John posted (homewiringandmore). Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: