No power to outlets

Old 07-22-04, 10:12 PM
amanda s.
Visiting Guest
No power to outlets

I came home today and most of the receptacles in my master bedroom and bathroom (to include the light) along with 2 other bedroom receptacles do not work. None of the breakers were tripped but I flipped them all off and on again to include the main breaker and I heard a buzz when I flipped 2 of the breakers and the main breaker. I have looked high and low for all of my gfci outlets and reset them. None of this helped. . . what do I do now?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-04, 10:21 PM
First guess is that you still have yet one or more additional GFCIs that you haven't found yet. I know you think you looked hard, but think about where one could be hiding. Perhaps behind your grandmother's chest of drawers that you have stored in the garage?

How many GFCIs did you find anyway, and what year was your house built in?

If this fails, visit your local home center and spend $8 on an outlet tester, the kind with three lights and it plugs into a receptacle. It will provide additional clues.

Old 07-22-04, 10:26 PM
amanda s.
Visiting Guest
I have 2 gfci's one in the kitchen and one in the main bathroom. My house was built in 1992.

Old 07-22-04, 10:29 PM
amanda s.
Visiting Guest
I have a voltmeter - can I use that instead of the outlet tester? What about the buzzing sound from the panel box?

Last edited by amanda s.; 07-22-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-23-04, 07:41 AM
Yes, you can do it with a voltmeter. For each dead receptacle, measure voltage:
  1. Narrow slit to grounding hole.
  2. Wide slit to grounding hole.
  3. Narrow slit to wide slit.
Let us know what readings you get.

You probably have another GFCI in the garage. Also look on the front and back porch and in the basement.

Old 07-23-04, 06:31 PM
Bobbi N
Visiting Guest
More info on no power

Thank you Amanda for posting for me while I was unable to use our computer. Update on the electrical status: There are no other GFCI outlets in our house. We have moved all furniture and checked. Only place to look would be the attic--its 105* outside so it is about 145* in the attic I will NOT go up there. We are headed into town to get a tester. Will post the results later. Is there any way to tell if a circuit breaker is bad??? I have considered replacing the ones in our box--I am not even sure which one goes to the switches/outlets that are not working. I am assuming it is one of the last 4--all other breakers are labeled. One more thing to add to what is going on. Our spa GFCI has since tripped, we have reset it and apparently it is working. I will know more about that later. Thanks for the advice given earlier. Bobbi

Old 07-23-04, 06:38 PM
A breaker can be easily checked with a voltmeter. But you have to remove the panel cover to do so, and you can get killed just doing that. So be careful.

Old 07-23-04, 07:55 PM
Bobbi N
Visiting Guest
Well the electrician will be here tomorrow. This is a newly purchased house and we are covered by a home protection plan--therefore I will let the REAL electrician work on the problem. I am still getting one of those testers tonight--should come in handy later on down the road. I will post what the culprit is. I am betting my breaker(s) are bad. I am not too anxious to collect life insurance so I will keep hubby out of the box!!! Thanks for the help.