Meter Box

Old 07-23-04, 08:59 AM
Bernie C.
Visiting Guest
Meter Box

The meter box outside the house has pulled away from the mounting. There is a piece of plywood that the meter box was screwed into. All four lag screws are out and the box is supported only by the service cable and entrance cable. Question is, do I have to notify the electric company before I cut the wire lock on the meter box so I can remount the box? Any other "do & don'ts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-04, 09:55 AM
biglou00
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Beware

I recently bought a house that had the meter stolen. Bad neighborhood! I thought my electric was turned off, When my electrician came out to look at it he noified me that it was hot at 240 volts. My point is dont go digging around in your meter box unless you know the Electricity is turned off at the pole or else you may be pushing up daisys

Old 07-23-04, 11:32 AM
Good advice Biglou00. This isn't a do-it-yourself job. Start by calling the power company and explaining the situation. They may fix it for you for free.

Doug M.

Old 07-23-04, 07:36 PM
I have a neighbor with the same problem (double meter pan has come unmounted).
I went through tech school for electrical, and even have the fully insulated screwdrivers for this type of situation: my only reason for not pulling it aprt yet is the legality of taking the tag off.

Old 08-01-04, 05:19 AM
Bernie C.
Visiting Guest
Meter Box

Just for info - the solution on this particular meter box was to lower the mounting on the side of the house, not try to raise the box. Thanks for the responses.