Installing a Garage Lift 220/240 V

Old 07-23-04, 04:02 PM
rmmagow
Visiting Guest
Installing a Garage Lift 220/240 V

I am going to install a lift in my garage that requires 220V. The garage is not wired for that. I understand a little of what's involved. What do I ask for at the hardware store for the wire? I know it'll have 4 wires involved. I plan to run the wire myself through the basement to the breaker box. I am thinking I want a wall mounted recepticle like the one used on the dryer and stove. Is this right? Can one use a single circuit with multple 220V recepticles or should I run a new circuit for each one. I have plenty of room in the box for these connections. I MAY try to hook to the box if after reading around I feel comfortable about that. I've had the breaker box apart to replace a bad breaker but also know and am concerned that there's power there all the time.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-04, 05:07 PM
Is the garage attached or detached? If detached, what power is out there now?

I know it'll have 4 wires involved
Probably only three.

Can one use a single circuit with multple 220V recepticles or should I run a new circuit for each one
240-volt circuits are not general-purpose as 120-volt circuits are. Each circuit must be designed to exactly meet the specifications of the appliance to be connected. You may have multiple receptacles, but usually not for multiple things but rather for the same thing that you move around to different places.

Before going any farther, we need the exact electrical specifications of the lift. They are usually on a plate on the appliance itself.