210 to 110

Old 07-23-04, 11:19 PM
R4sons
Visiting Guest
210 to 110

I have a 210 outlet in my gargage that I never use. To make a long story short, I want to tie into the outlet and create two 110 outlets. (I am runing two metal conduits to this one box. Each conduit will end up as dedicated 110 outlet. One for a refrigerator and one for a washer/dryer outlet.
1) Can this be done?
2) How?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-04, 06:57 AM
I did something very similar a few years ago, when wiring an "emergency generator" circuit. I bought an inexpensive plastic panel ( about 6x6 inches) that had spaces for four breakers in it. I fed the 220 to the lugs, and used the breakers as you would any other sub panel, giving me two "110" circuits off each leg. It's been so long ago that I don't remember where I bought the plastic panel, and I haven't looked for one since, but it worked well in that instance. A search at any of the big stores should offer a similar option. If this is more than you wanted to add, you could still split the 220 into two 110's (typically red;hot to one black; hot to the other, white; neutral to each of the new circuits), but you would have to exchange the double pole breaker in your main panel to two single breakers. Remember to install GFCI's in the new circuits, as well. Another consideration is grounding.... if your current 220 outlet doesn't contain a ground wire, you'll have to run a new wire back to your panel to have grounded outlets. Hope this helps...
(Not a professional, just a DIY'r)

Old 07-24-04, 10:18 AM
CSelectric
Visiting Guest
As long as a neutral is present, you can do exactly as HD says. Just take one hot and the neutral to one recept. and the other hot, along with the same neutral to the second circuit. You also don't need to eliminate the two pole breaker. If you want to, you certainly can, but it is not required. However, I would check that breaker and make sure it is rated at 20 amps. Your recepts. cannot be protected at greater than 20 amps, so if thats a larger breaker it will have to be changed.

Also, you mention that you are running the new work in metallic conduit. If, in fact, the existing 220V recept. was run using metallic conduit, then you can disregard HD's mention of a ground wire. Just make sure all of your fittings are tight. EMT is listed and rated as a grounding means, and functions perfectly as one as long as it is installed properly.