Question on exterior A/C disconnect switch

Old 07-24-04, 02:42 PM
Question on exterior A/C disconnect switch

I just bought and installed a Cutler-Hammer 60 amp disconnect switch for our central a/c compressor. The thermostst, etc is not wired yet in our new space, so I am not able to see if the unit runs yet.
It has a black plastic insert which you pull out so the a/c service person can work on the compressor.
The insert feels very loose when I insert it into the contacts on the switch. The other A/C unit we have has the same type of disconnect (made by Square D). But when you pull that one out, you feel that the metal contacts are tight.
Should I return the Cutler-Hammer for a new one, or try to squeeze down the contacts inside the switch? I just know that if there is not a good contact with electricity, heat can build up.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-04, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In many of these pullouts the lugs are not fixed to the back box. They are just held in place within the plastic inner fixture. They are fine.
Pretty much anything Square D is generally better quality but also more money.
I would not worry about it.

Are you sure you're putting it in the right way. If you put the insert in upside down that is the off position. In the on position you will feel the resistance of the contacts.

Old 07-24-04, 07:59 PM
No, I am putting it in the correct way. The contacts in the "socket" part of the switch just seem to be wider than the copper blade that is on the removeable part. I'm just afraid that they will be making intermittent contact with 30 amps flowing through them.