Blown Circuit

Old 07-26-04, 12:29 AM
arthvr
Visiting Guest
Blown Circuit

My wife plugged the vacuum cleaner into the GFCI outlet in the bathroom, turned the vacuum on and poof, no light in the hall, bathroom, nor power to the GFCI. The GFCI will not reset. so went out and bought a new GFCI, replaced it, same problem. We just recently bought the house three months ago. No idea exactly what is on which breaker. My wife checked all the breakers prior to the GFCI replacement and wasn't able to find one that was tripped. All the breakers have power coming from them but there is no power coming into the GFCI nor the hall light switch nor the bathroom light and fan switches. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-04, 01:52 AM
doingitmyself
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by arthvr
The GFCI will not reset
Do you mean that when you push the reset button on the GFCI, that it keeps popping? Or do you mean that it resets, but that there is still no power there?

If the latter, check all around the house for other GFCIs. You'll find them in the kitchen, bathrooms, basements, garages, outside and just everywhere. Somewhere there's another, or even many GFCIs that have tripped.

If the former, then there is probably an overload problem somewhere.

Check for other GFCIs first and post back.

Old 07-26-04, 02:13 AM
arthvr
Visiting Guest
Reset

I mean that pushing that reset button does nothing. normally the reset button clicks when you reset it after it blows or after a test. no such luck. there is one other gfci and it works fine. as far as overload goes, i'm not sure what else is on the circuit. i think it's just the bathroom exhaust fan, bathroom light and hall light. none are working. none have power going to them either.

Old 07-26-04, 05:35 AM
Have you tried turning the circuit breaker completely off and then back on? Some circuit breakers must be turned completely off before they can be reset. If you do not know which breaker controls this circuit (shame on you) then turn ALL your breakers off and then on.

If the breaker is not the problem and there is no other GFCI protecting the circuit then you will have to trace the circuit to find where the connection is broken. In this case you will most likely find a disconnected wire somewhere. Barring other problems, the most common cause of a failed connection is a failed backstab connection. When searching for the break, move all backstabbed connections to the screw terminals.

Old 07-26-04, 07:30 AM
There is a faulty connection somewhere before the GFCI. Turn off the main and check all the outlets that don't work as well as any in the area that do work. Move any wire that's connected to the outlet via the holes on the back, to the screw terminals. Since you don't know what's on the circuit, you'll have to keep checking outlets until you find the problem. May be time consuming, but better to do it yourself than pay an electrician by the hour...

Good luck.

Doug M.

Old 07-26-04, 07:32 AM
Almost forgot, you need to check light switches and, possibly, light fixtures since sometimes power runs through fixture boxes.

Doug M.