Replace single pole breaker with tandem breakers

Old 07-27-04, 06:33 AM
Randyb_64
Visiting Guest
Replace single pole breaker with tandem breakers

My current breaker box is full and I need to add a 2pole 20 amp breaker to run a new deep well pump that I am having put in. What I would like to do is take 2 15 amp single pole breakers and switch them to a 15amp tandem switch. I would also like to do this with 2 20amp breakers and switch them to a 20amp tandem switch. My breaker box is a Murray LIne and the breakers are labeled as Crouse-Hind. This box was put in when the house was built in 1980. I have a 200amp main breaker, so I feel sure that I would be able to add this 1 switch in. Is it possible to replace these breakers with either a Semiens or Square D breaker? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-04, 06:54 AM
mgb
I wouldn't be surprised if for about the same money you could put in a subpanel, that way you'd have room for future circuits.

Old 07-29-04, 06:59 PM
You can use "twins" {as they're also called}.Cutler-Hammer {type BR}, Siemens {type MP taken from Murray} will definately work. Square Ds Homeline may work but I've only used their QO series which will not work in a Murray panel.

Old 07-29-04, 07:36 PM
CSelectric
Visiting Guest
FWIW, Murray is, at this point, a wholly owned subsidiary of Seimans E&A. And yes, the Siemans MP is an exact fit for your panel.

Adding tandem breakers should not be a problem as long as the panel is rated for them (if you have a panel with less than 40 circuits it is rated for tandems, at least in the case of a Murray panel.)