New home Question

Old 07-27-04, 07:38 PM
jrtool
Visiting Guest
New home Question

Hi, I am currently Building a new home behind my old trailer. The power company said I could use my existing 200amp service that I have on a pole in the yard. I want to live in the trailer until closing on the new home and would like electricity in it also. I believe I need the new home powered for the electrical inspection. I thought about scheduling the inspection and then hooking the new home up to it the day of it, and then switching back to it. Lot of work and not as easy as it sounds. Looking for suggestions on how to have both hooked for a short period of time(1to2 weeks). Is there a way of hooking up the new home and the run power back to trailer?? Looking for any help or suggestion. The state is Pa. for code concerns. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-04, 10:38 AM
Careful. There are probably local code requirements for "temporary" power setups for new construction sites. Contact your local power utility company to make sure you'd be following the code, and crack open the latest NEC. Don't jerry-rig anything. You could get yourself into trouble...

Old 07-29-04, 11:49 AM
rlrct
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by jrtool
Hi, I am currently Building a new home behind my old trailer. The power company said I could use my existing 200amp service that I have on a pole in the yard. I want to live in the trailer until closing on the new home and would like electricity in it also. I believe I need the new home powered for the electrical inspection. I thought about scheduling the inspection and then hooking the new home up to it the day of it, and then switching back to it. Lot of work and not as easy as it sounds. Looking for suggestions on how to have both hooked for a short period of time(1to2 weeks). Is there a way of hooking up the new home and the run power back to trailer?? Looking for any help or suggestion. The state is Pa. for code concerns. Thanks
The reason that you may not have gotten many answers is that you only want to run in this configuration for "1 to 2 weeks", and it could be a lot of work to properly wire what you want to do.

Where is your service disconnect? Out on the pole with your service or at a panel on the trailer?

One option is putting the service equipment out at the pole with breakers for the house and trailer. Then you'd wire the house and trailer each as a subpanel.

Another option is to run the trailer on a generator, off-grid, for the 1-2 weeks you want to live there.

Old 07-29-04, 01:44 PM
Tesla
Visiting Guest
You could feed the trailer from the house panel after the switch is made. I bet you could get by on a 60A breaker or smaller (that means smaller tempory wire size as wel) for that week or two.

Old 07-29-04, 05:37 PM
What of part Pa? In Philly and burbs the temp service would have been inspected when the work started. What inspection is this {rough-in ,final,etc}? I'd go with tying in the new service {permanently} & running a 60 amp line from the new panel to the trailer as was suggested.This way if you need to stay in the trailer longer it wont be a problem.I'm surprised the electrician didnt have this all figured out before rough-in began.If the power to the trailer is done permanently you then will have power for a shed if you remove the trailer.Good luck.