Upgrading existing wiring of water heater

Old 07-31-04, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Upgrading existing wiring of water heater

Hopefully someone here can help me through this process. I am needing to take my existing water heater from 3800watts to 5500watts using the bus bar provided to me by Kenmore. However, in the paperwork it says that I need to make sure there is a 30amp breaker in the box that it is attached to. As it is now, there is only 15amp and 20amp breakers in the box. How do I go about changing this so that I can increase my wattage on the water heater. There is a couple of unused breakers in the panel and there is room to add more breakers if needed. Please, if you have any information let me know as soon as possible.

Old 07-31-04, 10:46 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 1,983
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You'll need a Wiring Method with two #10 copper conductors and an Equiptment Grounding Conductor, run between the panel and the W-H, and connected to a 30-amp, 2-pole breaker at the panel. This can be effected with 10/2 Non-metallic cable, type NM.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-04, 11:25 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
To reinforce what PATTBAA said, you have to start from scratch. None of the electrical components that support the old water heater can be reused: not the breaker and not the wire. If the breaker panel is near where the water heater will go, this isn't too hard (although it can be quite dangerous for a novice). If the panel and the water heater are farther apart, consider professional help.

Also note that if your house has 60-amp electrical service, it may not support this water heater.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: