Neutral vs Ground

Old 07-31-04, 09:29 AM
Neutral vs Ground

Hi all,

I'm installing a Leviton PLC coupler/repeater. This thing here:

http://www.smarthome.com/4823.html

It grabs and repeats Power Line Control (PLC/X10) signals over both phases of a split phase system. I've installed the breakers and pulled 14/2 wire to a box. When I went to install the device I realized that the only "neutral" I have is the bare ground wire. Since they all go to the neutral bar anyway can I hook the white neutral wire on the Leviton device to the ground wire or should I pull 14/3 wire. If I do that then the ground wire would go unused.

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-04, 10:37 AM
14/3 Non-metallic cable is required. If you "click" for a "larger diagram", you will notice the connection of Black, Red, & White conductors. The bare conductor in the 14/3 cable is the Grounding connection. A Green wire on any "load" that connects to Branch-circuit conductors connects to the bare Equiptment Grounding Conductor in the cable.

Just Curious-- what is the purpose on this device?

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 07-31-04, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured, but I didn't want to have to pull the wire again (it's only a few inches from the breaker panel - I'm just being lazy )

I think I have some 14/3 laying around.

The device is to amplify/repeat power line control (X10) signals across both legs of the split phase system. In a nutshell, lights in my house are controlled by my PC via signals that use the existing house wiring. Special switches receive the signals. The way it works is a module is plugged into an outlet and the signal travels from there to the breaker box and out across all the circuits. Some signals get too weak by the time they need to get where they need to go - particularly in large houses or houses with a lot of wiring. I've been having trouble with one switch in my garage for years. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My basement wiring (the whole basement is wired off of a sub-panel I installed) doesn't see any of the signals at all. I finally bit the bullet and bought this coupler/repeater. It should solve the problems.

Thanks!

Jim