60 v from hot to ground

Old 08-02-04, 11:12 AM
ponder6168
Visiting Guest
60 v from hot to ground

I have a group of wall outlets which have 60 v from the hot side to ground and 30 v from the neutral side to ground and 120 v from hot to neutral. Any ideas on what I should look for? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-04, 11:35 AM
These outlets are not grounded.

Old 08-02-04, 12:39 PM
Other than an explanation of these readings (already provided by Bob in condensed form), did you have any other goals in mind? I might suspect that you would in fact like to see these outlets grounded. If so, do you want grounding in order to sell the house, in order to protect your electronics, or for the safety of your family? In what year was the house built?

Old 08-02-04, 04:04 PM
ponder6168
Visiting Guest
goals

We have a free standing wall in the master bedroom which has the vanity on one side and our bed on the other side. All the outlets are on the vanity side and I am currently using an extension cord from one of those outlets to run our clocks, lamps etc by the bed. My goal was to extend the outlet to the bed side of the wall. Most of the outlets in the house are grounded, including a different one on the vanity side of the wall. I could extend from that one but my wife uses her hair dryer on it so I would just as soon extend from the one the extension cord is plugged in to. There is a ground wire attached to the outlet. Is there a simple way to find where it is disconnected or where I should connect it in the first place?

Old 08-02-04, 04:05 PM
ponder6168
Visiting Guest
age of house

I believe the house was purchased in the 70's. It has been remodeled and added on to since then. We bought it a year ago.

Old 08-02-04, 04:23 PM
Shut off the breaker. Check the wiring in every box (switch box, light box, receptacle box) that is now dead. Make sure all grounding wires are connected in every box. Pull on every grounding wire in a wire nut to make sure it doesn't come out. It's very "simple", but it might take a bit of time. Check throughout the house to make sure you have identified all the boxes on the circuit. They are not necessarily in the same room, and not even necessarily in the same area of the house.

Old 08-06-04, 03:53 PM
ponder6168
Visiting Guest
progress

I've checked all the switches and outlets on the circuit. I used an ohm-meter and found the grounds in the outlets in the bedroom are connected to each other (after I fixed a loose connection) but not to the main ground. The rest of the circuits are connected to the main ground. I haven't opened up the two light boxes on the circuit but the switches controlling the lights had good grounds. I wandered around the attic crawl space to see if I could find where the good part of the circuit connected to the ungrounded part but it wasn't clear to me. Would there be anything wrong with running a ground wire from the ungrounded part of the circuit to ground (maybe under the house)? This brings up a related question. Is there a trick to running the wires from an existing outlet to where I want it to go? Do I just drill holes in the floor under the wall and try to thread the wires through? Thanks again for all the help.

Old 08-06-04, 04:49 PM
If you want to add a ground, then you need to add a ground wire all the way back to the panel. It must be the same size (or larger) than the wire size of the circuit and it must be green.

As for running wires, it takes practice. After you drill the hole in the "floor" you generally use a fush tape to run the wire through the hole.

Old 08-06-04, 05:45 PM
ponder6168
Visiting Guest
fuse tape?

If I go to a hardware store and ask for a fuse tape will they know what I'm asking for (even if I don't!)?