Electric Shock from Faucet

Old 08-02-04, 07:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Electric Shock from Faucet


I'm not sure if this belongs in Electric or Plumbing, but here goes!

I'm getting a slight electric shock when I turn any faucet on. This has happened both outside and inside of the house, usually when I have my hand under the water and touch the metal faucet. I first noticed it last week....then went away. I noticed it again yesterday, and don't feel it today. I've checked the grounding inside the house, but have yet to look outside. Am I on the right track, thinking it's a bad ground?

Thanks for your help,
Old 08-03-04, 12:21 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes. Call an electrician immediately!
Old 08-03-04, 10:06 AM
COBALT's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 168
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
YES! The wiring in your house and your panel box should have two separate dedicated grounds: Copper wire that runs from the grounding lugs in your panel to copper rods in the ground outside your house, and another copper wire from your grounding lugs in your panel to your plumbing (hot and cold water pipes). This way the electrical system in your house and the panel can find a path to true ground.

If your box is grounded to your plumbing, but not to a dedicated ground outside your house then that would explain why you're getting shocked. You're acting as a ground whenever you turn off the faucet.

Get a professional to come in and check the bonding of the box to the outside and to your plumbing. You may even have bonding between your hot and cold water above your hot water heater...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: