Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

separating two sets of outdoor lights controlled by two switches

Old 08-03-04, 08:08 AM
ChrisDIY
Visiting Guest

I have two sets of lights (two front entry lights & two driveway lights) that are controlled by two switches located about 50 feet from each other (located in the foyer and inside the garage). One switch turns all of these lights on and off. While I like having these lights on at night, having four of them on is too bright at night and bothers our neighbors who has a bedroom facing the driveway.

I would like to "separate" these lights so that I could control the driveway lights with the switch in the garage and the front entry lights with the switch in the foyer. Ultimately, I am also thinking of installing a timer-switch to one set of these lights for security reasons while I am on vacation.

I would appreciate any help on how these lights and switches might be wired and how I would be able to "separate" them. I am fairly handy on carpentry stuff, but not as much on electrical matters.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-04, 09:09 AM
Your post is a little unclear. You did not say this, but I read your post as the switches being three way switches, meaniung that you can turn the lightrs on or off from either location. Please confirm this.

What you will need to do depends entirely on how the wiring is run. YOu may not have to replace any wiring, or you may need to replace some of the wiring. There are numerous ways this coule be wired. It would not serve any purpose to list them all out, as the only one that matters is what is actually there.

Please describe in detail how the switches and lights are wired. By detail I mean:

1) how many cables enter/exit each location.
2) What color wires are in each cable.
3) How the wires are connected to the switch, light or any other wire.

With the above information we can tell you what needs to be done to accomplish your goal.

Old 08-03-04, 11:29 AM
ChrisDIY
Visiting Guest
Bob --

Thanks for your post and my apologies for the ambiguous post.

I can confirm that the switches are three way switches in that the lights can be turned on and off using either switch.

As for the specific connections and wiring, I will check when I get home after my trip and post later this week.

Again, thanks.

Chris