Adding a 100 amp service panel in garage.

Old 08-04-04, 06:38 PM
meach
Visiting Guest
Question Adding a 100 amp service panel in garage.

I am currently adding a 100 amp service panel in my Garage. My house currently has a 60 amp fuse type service panel, which will all be updated at a later date. I was planing to come out of the meter to a sub panel next to the meter and add a 100 amp main breaker switch. I then am going to run the wire conduant to a 100 amp service panel in the garage.
My question's are, does this sound feasible? What size, and type wire should I run between the meter, main breaker switch and service panel? Open for any suggestions!

Thanks, Meach

Old 08-04-04, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just finished doing what you're talking about Meach.
I had to change my 200 amp meter base to a 320 because the 200 only had one set of load lugs. I changed the base and ran one line to the main house disconnect and the other line to an 100 amp breaker which feeds a breaker box out in the shop. (Mine's a detached garage.)
The power company gave me the 320 amp base and I used a square d 100 amp breaker box. Since I have an 100 amp main in the shop I could have used a disconnect but all I could find was a breaker. I ran 2-2-2 aluminum from the shop side of the meter base to the breaker and then 2-2-2-4 from the single breaker to my panel in the shop. The 4 wire just ties into the neutral at the main breaker (on the outside of the house) so you don't have to drive another ground rod, although with your old service you may want to just go ahead and ground your breaker panel to a new rod.
I had to get a permit to change my meter base, my building permit WITH the extra $$ I paid for the electric permit wasn't enough. Another $40...
I called the power company a few days ago and requested an "outage" at my house for today. They came out this morning and pulled the meter and cut the power at the transformer. After I did my thing I called the city inspector, gave them my permit # and the inspector came out, OK'd it and called the power company to come out and hook me back up. They hooked up their side of the meter base.
Be warned, I'm no 'lectician but I did pass inspection and had the lights on before my wife got home! It was a lot easier than I thought...
Thanks to EVERYONE here who helped me with this project!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: