Pls Help, installing a "De-Hummer" Fan & Light Control

Old 08-05-04, 04:28 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
Pls Help, installing a "De-Hummer" Fan & Light Control

I moved into a brand new home and had ceiling fan outlets (I suppose a better word might be junction boxes?). They were covered up by a round metal cover. Inside wiring: 2 black and one red wire. I know that I installed the red wire as the "switched" wire and the two blacks to the other wires on the fan (the fan had a black and a white). Also, I attached the ground wire from fan to the ground wire coming from the box in the ceiling.

At the switch: The house came with switch already installed but I want to install a separate fan/light switch. In order to give you background, I first need to describe the original configuration. The original switch is a single on/off and next to this switch is another single on/off switch that controls an outlet. The fan/light switch has 3 wires, 2 are black and one is red. The red one was straight and was pushed into the back of the switch. The 2 black wires were attached to screws. One on the upper right screw and one on the lower right screw. I think it's important to note that one of the black wires from this [fan/light] switch is going to the other on/off switch for the wall outlet.

Now, the new switch that I wish to install is called a "De-Hummer Fan & Light Control". It has instructions for Single Pole switch installation and 3-way switch installation. The switch also has 5 wires (per instructions are): Black-Hot; Green-Ground;Red-to Fan; and 2 Yellow wires-to light and one to Fan.

So, again. At switch, I've got two black wires and a red one. And the Switch has 5 wires, 1 black, 1 red, 1 green and 2 yellow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-04, 04:49 AM
What do the directions for the switch tell you to do?

Old 08-05-04, 07:08 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
Good question. I forgot to mention that the instructions for the switch tell me to connect

I don't understand the differentce betwwn single pole and 3-way but I'll explain the instructions for both:

Single pole:
Red wire goes to the fan.
Yellow goes to the light.
Black goes to the Hot Feed.
Green goes to ground.
The other Yellow is capped.

3-Way:
Same as above but both Yellow wires go to a 3-way switch that goes to the light.

The problem is that I don't know how to tell what wires are coming from the fan since the wall has 2 black wires and one red (the red one is easy to tell).

Thanks, Mike

Old 08-05-04, 07:43 AM
A single pole switch is used when only one switch turns a light on or off. There are two terminals on a single pole switch (plus a ground).

A three way switch is used when you want to control a light from more than one location. You use two three way switches to control a,light from two locations. A three way switch has two terminals (plus a ground).

There are also four way switches, which has four terminals, but let's not go there, since we don't have to.

You need to determine two things.

At the light you need to determine what the three wires are. Two blacks and a red is unusual, and does not meet code,,but so be it. One of the wires is a neutral, the other is always hot and the third is switched hot. You need to determine which wire is which. Use a simple tester (two wires) and by process of elimination identify the wires.

At the switches several changes will need to be made to the fan switch. You will need to identify what wires go to the fan and where the incoming power comes from. Explain all the wires that are present and how they are connected. Be very specific. Explain what cable they come from, what color they are, and where they connect (to each oither, to a switch, etc.).

Old 08-05-04, 08:23 AM
It is virtually inconceivable that a brand new house would be wired in violation such a basic electrical code. Go back and check the wires in the ceiling box again. There's more than just the two blacks and a red. There has to be one or more white or gray wires there.

Old 08-05-04, 02:12 PM
Another issue is to be certain that the ceiling boxes were rated to handle fans, not just fixtures.

Old 08-06-04, 04:33 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
Thanks all for your quick reply's. I'll take another look at the wiring but will have to remove one of the fans (when the house was built, I had the builder install wiring for fans, not just light fixtures, in each room). Anyway, I expect to have a response to the wiring behind one of the fans either later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again, Mike

Old 08-06-04, 06:32 AM
I meant rated for weight, not current. But if the builder was worth his salt, knowing you were going to install fans, he would have installed the proper type of box in the correct manner.

Old 08-06-04, 11:04 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
I understood you meant weight. I spoke w/the builder's rep yesterday and he told me that the fan boxes were in fact for ceiling fans w/reinforcement something or other between the beams. By the way, the builder is Pulte.

Old 08-08-04, 08:50 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
I just checked one of the other bedrooms that I want to connect a fan! The wires from the ceiling are RED, WHITE and BLACK.

The wires from the fan are:
1 Black - fan motor
1 White - fan motor
1 Black/white stripe - wall switch lead.
1 Green - Ground

The wires in the wall switch are 2 Black and one Red (with one of the blacks connecting to the on/off switch right next to the 'fan' switch.

The FAN INSTRUCTIONS say to connect the Black electrical supply lead to Black motor lead. The White electrical supply lead to White motor lead. The Black w/white stripe to wall switch lead.

Now, [I think ] the question is how do I determine which wire in the ceiling is the "wall switch lead", and which wire on the switch is the "wall switch lead"? (Also, how do I install the switch - do I use the single pole or 3-way installatio)?.

Thanks for your patience!

Old 08-08-04, 09:26 AM
Which wire is the wall switch lead is whichever one you make the wall switch lead. You're wiring the switch.

Here's one way:
  • At the ceiling, connect black from fan to black from ceiling, black/white from fan to red from ceiling, white to white, and ground to ground.
  • At the switch, connect black from the switch to black from the black/white cable, connect yellow from the switch to red from the black/red/white cable, connect red from the switch to black from the black/red/white cable. Then connect the two white wires to each other.
You didn't actually say that there was white wires at the switch box, but I'm guessing that there is.

Precision, accuracy and completeness are essential to do this job. If these directions are inappropriate, then go back one more time and give us complete information about the wall and ceiling boxes. Don't leave anything out.

Old 08-08-04, 09:59 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
I understand the connections you indicated on the ceiling box wires to the fan wires. However, the instructions for the switch are a bit confusing. There is no white wire. The wiring scheme to the existing wall on/off switch are two black wires and one red wire. The black wires are connected to screws in the switch and the red wire is connected in the back of the switch in some form of "push in" connection (instructions on back of existing switch says 'push to release') which will then release the red wire. There are no stripped wires on any switches nor on the wires from the wall.

Please recall, my new De-Hummer Fan & Light control, has the 5 wires, per my post below dated: 08-05-04 09:08 AM.

Old 08-08-04, 10:05 AM
We need a very, very, very clear view of the wiring in the switch box. Here's what I want you to do. Remove the switch from the wall box and disconnect it. Take it out of the room and hide it in a drawer in a different room. Put the switch instructions in that same out-of-sight drawer. Now go back to the switch box. Pull all the wires out of the box. Tell me exactly how many wires you find in this box, and what colors they are. Don't mention the switch or its instructions or the fan in your reply.

Old 08-08-04, 10:11 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
Got the picture.

There are three wires coming from the wall:
1 Red
2 Black

Old 08-08-04, 10:30 AM
Great. So there are no white wires at the wall. That is significant.

Now do the same thing at the ceiling. Of course, I don't really expect you to put the ceiling fan in a drawer, but describe the wires in the ceiling box as if you did.

Old 08-08-04, 10:33 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan box:
1 Red
1 White
1 Black

Old 08-08-04, 10:45 AM
Well, it's pretty clear now that the wires do not run directly from the wall to the ceiling. They run instead through some junction box between the two. So to really understand what's going on, you would need to find that junction box.

But here's what I'd do. At the ceiling:
  • Connect black/white from your fan to red from the ceiling.
  • Connect black from your fan to black from the ceiling.
  • Connect white from your fan to white from the ceiling.
  • Connect green from the fan to the green grounding screw in the box or mounting bracket.
At the wall:
  • Connect green from the switch to the green screw in the box.
  • Connect red, black and yellow from the switch to the three wires in the box in any random order. Then test. If it works perfectly, you're done. If not, randomly pick some other combination. Your high school mathematics teacher would tell you that there are six combinations. It has to work properly in six tries or less.

Old 08-08-04, 10:56 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
Thanks John!
I'll give it a try and let you know. I've got to run so will try later this afternoon. But thanks again, I really appreciate your VERY QUICK responses!

Old 08-08-04, 07:18 PM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

My ceiling fan works with the new switch . Thanks for the guidence! I'll probably be on again with my next project (currently being prioritized by my wife) next weekend. Take care, Mike

Old 08-08-04, 07:26 PM
So how many of the six tries did you need, and what combination proved correct?

Old 08-09-04, 04:57 AM
Mike's House
Visiting Guest
2nd try but I think I may have to go back in and try again.

Black to Black
Red to Black
Yellow to White
Green to Ground
The other Yellow is capped

Their is a faint sound that sounds like metal rubbing but I think it's properly called a 'hum' when the fan is on low. I know it's not metal rubing because when I turn the fan light on, even very low, the sound goes away. Weird?