Extending two Circuts? A few Questions?

Old 08-06-04, 01:38 PM
bmurr
Visiting Guest
Extending two Circuts? A few Questions?

I am currently extending wire in two circuts to bypass a removed wall but not adding any additional outlets and have a few questions.

When extending a circut using an accessible box, can you connect two separate circuts in one box, or do each of the circut connection have to have independant boxes?

Also, when pulling wire through 2x4s, should you have two separate holes for different circuts, or can you pull them through the same whole?

Another question: When mounting the accessible box in an attic with blown in celulose type insulation, is there a specific place or way to mount the box. I purchased the standard blue plastic boxes with face plates and when looking in the attic it would seem like you would want to keep the box out of the insulation if possible to avoid contact (should I be using metal boxes). There are vertical support beams in the area that could be used as mounting points.

Last question: My kitchen and dinning room lights are on the same circut, as well as the power to my furnace. Last winter (first winter in the house) the lights would dim when the furnace kicked on. It is a 15 amp circut with ungrounded 14 g wire. Now that I am learning a bit about electrical, it seems that the furnace is incorrectly wired and should have its own dedicated circut with 14-2 wire and a 15 amp outlet (the unit is connected with a 10 or 15 amp breaker box at the connection point up to code). Would this be correct to assume? I did just have the furnace replaced this summer and they did not mention any electrical wiring problems, but I did not ask them either. Also, the inspector passed the install, but again I did not think to ask.

Thanks for your input and sorry for the extended posts.

Old 08-06-04, 02:38 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When extending a circut using an accessible box, can you connect two separate circuts in one box, or do each of the circut connection have to have independant boxes?
Two separate circuits of the same voltage range can be connected in the same box. Some people don't like to (because of the potential for future surprises), but it is okay according to code.

Also, when pulling wire through 2x4s, should you have two separate holes for different circuts, or can you pull them through the same whole?
Same hole is fine.

When mounting the accessible box in an attic with blown in celulose type insulation, is there a specific place or way to mount the box.
Most people like to mount the box on a framing member above the insulation so you can find it later if neccessary.

should I be using metal boxes
Not necessary.

Would this be correct to assume?
Probably. What kind of furnace do you have? You don't necessarily need to bring everything up to today's code, but of course you can.

Old 08-06-04, 03:17 PM
bmurr
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply John.

The furnace is a gas 100,000 btu, so the only thing running of the electrical is the fan and starter. I had read on this board that dimming lights generally mean you have exceeded the recomended load on a circut. If it is not dangerous or a problem, then I will most likely leave it alone.

The reason I wanted to move the box out of the insulation was due to fire prevention, but if you would do it just to find it, then it may be fine.

What if the two circuts are different amperage. They are 20 and 15 amp circuts. Should I still keep them in the same box?

Thanks again.

Old 08-06-04, 04:04 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dimming lights can mean a number of things, some serious, some not. If the dimming is more than trivial, you should check all the electrical connections on the circuit.

Old 08-06-04, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I provided my electric furnace with a dedicated 20 amp circuit on 12/2. If you have plenty of room in your box you should do this. Pretty conservative, but I won't have those dimming problems. What's causing the dimming is the electric fan motor kicking on. It has a 1 time draw to start the motor. Same thing for the refrigerator compressor.

Therefore the following are on their on dedicated circuits:

1. Refrigerator
2. Furnace
3. Dish Washer
4. Clothes washer
5. Clothes drier (220v 30 amp circuit)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: