12 Volt Light, but no power source

Old 08-06-04, 01:03 PM
12 Volt Light, but no power source

I want to mount a 12 volt light to my sons ATV, but have no source of power for the light. The light is supposed to be plugged into a cigarette lighter. Can't I just purchase a 12 volt battery, mount it to his ATV, attach the light to the battery and recharge as needed?

Thanks,
William

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-04, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you can. Use a lawn tractor or motorcycle battery and recharge after each use. Don't deep cycle it. You will need a battery mount to keep it in place. Try to keep the shiny side of the ATV upright and this should work for you.

Old 08-09-04, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the reply

I appreciate the prompt reply.

William

Old 08-11-04, 07:46 AM
Ideas for material on which to place battery

The battery will rest (be strapped to) a flat metal portion of an ATV. I want to put some sort of material beneath the battery to help to keep it in place. Ideally, A 1/2 inch, soft, foam, rubber material would be great. I need a piece approx 3.5 X 7.0 inches. I could cut-to-size the material. Does anyone know of a material like this? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I thought I could use a cheap, rubber welcome mat as well (but, not as thick and pliable as I would like).

Battery dimensions are 7 X 3 X 6.5 inches and 13lbs.

Per Goldstar, I should use a battery mount. I would have to have the mount fashioned though and spot-welded to the ATV. I'm sure I won't have time to get this done before the ATV is to be used.

Thanks,
William

Old 08-11-04, 08:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just looking at my mouse pad. It's almost 1/4" thick and about 8" X 8". What about stacking two or three cheap mouse pads. Trim them to the size you want and maybe glue them together with the foam to the outside to reduce slippage.

Old 08-11-04, 09:06 AM
That's a great idea! I believe that would work perfeclty. Thanks for the input.

William