Wiring a SPA panel to main.

Old 08-07-04, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wiring a SPA panel to main.

If the breaker panel is full, whats the best way to tap into the main service???
Old 08-07-04, 08:53 PM
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Posts: 51
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

You will probably have to upgrade your main panel to a larger one. One with more spaces and more amps. Also, you may still have to upgrade the panel and get a subpanel if you have a large panel that is already full. However, if you already have a 100 amp panel, you may be able to take out some breakers, add a 60-100 amp breaker and connect a subpanel to it. However, this is no simple task and it should NOT be taken lightly. There is a major risk of fire if you overload a panel or have the wrong size wire, etc. Consult a professional electrician. The money you spend could save your life and home in the future.

Best of Luck,

Last edited by SafeWatch; 08-14-04 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-07-04, 10:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
your sure the panel is full, meaning all the stackable breakers have been installed?
Old 08-08-04, 06:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
In order to get spa panel installed you need to do ONE of the following things.
A) Tap the bus if there is room, and wire the spa panel hot because it provide a GFI breaker in the enclosure. An electrician is in order for sure.
B) Convert some full size breakers into half size and install a breaker.
c) If the top two is not feasable pull some circuits out install a main breaker and install a sub panel. And drop the new circuit breaker in the new panel along with those existing breakers you pulled out of the old panel to make space.
If the above items are ill factors you will need a heavy up. (Complete new panel with a possible up graded amperage service.) I recomend a licenced electrician because anything doing with the main service panel to this extent is dangerous and not only that is if you have a fire or injurys YOU are liable not the insurance companies. So you might want to let the job be done by an electrician.
Old 08-09-04, 08:34 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 1,983
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install a new Sub-panel next to the Service-panel, and transfer existing circuits from the Service-panel to the new S-P to "clear" space in the Service-panel for two 2-pole circuit-breakers.

One 2-pole C-B protects the Spa Branch-Circuit, and the other 2-pole protects the Feeder-conductors that connect to the new S-P.

It's best to transfer 15-amp general-purpose Branch-Circuits to the new S-P in order to minimize the load on the S-P Feeder-breaker.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: