sub panels

Old 08-10-04, 11:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy sub panels

Last year we had our main panel replaced due to the circuit breaker kept tripping. (warn out) However we used to have a 150 amp main, an 2-60 amp breakers for 1-an out building and 2- riding arena lights. When the electrician replaced the panel, he did so with a 200 amp max box and only hooking up the main house with a 150 amp breaker. I would like to be able to turn the riding arena lights and the out building back on but the box says 200 amp maximum. Also, there is only room for either 2 singles or 1 double breaker.What should I do?
Old 08-10-04, 03:31 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chester, IL
Posts: 270
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The 200 amp maximum is per phase. Take a look at the bus bars inside the service panel(after turning off the main) you should see that every other breaker lug, vertically, goes to the opposite side bus bar (alternating)...basically it means that 2 breakers next to each other vertically are on opposite phases (this makes it possible to put 220 powered items into your home, stove, dryer, etc).

Anyway, if you(or your electrician) are careful and figure the demand on each item, it is possible to get 400amps total out of a 200amp panel (not recommended as it would have to be split EXACTLY, but possible). Also I doubt you would be anywhere near 400amps(or 300 in your case) in your home.

"300 in your case", you said you have a 150amp main, so even though the panel supports up to 200amps, if you pull more than 150(on either phase) the main will trip.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: