ceiling fan wiring question (this one is different)

Old 08-10-04, 12:54 PM
sjhoffman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy cieling fan wiring question(this one is different)

I just need to know if after replacing a three way speed switch, if anybody can tell me if I rewired the circut correctly because I cannot get the fan to turn on. The lights continue to operate correctly but their wiring is seperate even though everything runs through a six prong plug that connects the motor of the fan(top) to the base of the fan where the lights are.

Female side of the plug coming down in order:

RED BLUE WHITE
RED BLACK BROWN
(hot) (hot) (neutral)
Male side of the plug everything is wired to in the same order:

WHITE BLUE BLACK
BROWN BLACK BLACK

The WHITE goes to the top/right of the fwd/rv switch. The BLUE goes to the top/left of the fwd/rv switch. The BLACK goes to the bottom of the 1.5/3uF capacitor. The BROWN ties in with the neutral going to the lights below and with the top/center of the fwd/rv switch. The first hot BLACK goes into the L position on the switch, the second into the lights below. The black lead coming off the top of the capacitor is load 1, the blue lead is load 2, and load 3 runs back to the bottom/center of the fwd/rv switch. Please help my house is very hot, and this is been going on a week and a half.

Old 08-11-04, 11:53 AM
sjhoffman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Will no one answer my question because it regards ceiling fans??!!

I need help here. Or does no one know the answer? At this point wrong answers would at least be getting me in some direction. Was I not specific enough, I'm new at this and might not of typed out my problem correctly. I'm sorry. Please see previous posting yesterday 2:54 p.m.

Old 08-11-04, 12:14 PM
Zel
Visiting Guest
since no one will answer you. I'll try to help if I can.
I have two questions,
1). Why is the brown going to the neutral? (maybe I need to read the post again for this answer)
2). Can you scan the wiring diagram from the instructions or photo of the sticker for it?

Old 08-11-04, 12:29 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't understand your question. Try rephrasing it. Also, don't start a new post. Continue the existing one.

Old 08-11-04, 03:51 PM
sjhoffman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

thankyou so much for replying. The brown is merely what the plug itself uses. All the neutral wiring on top of the plug is correct, and all the neutral on the bottom of the plug is correct or the lights wouldn't work and they continue to through all of this. The neutral doesn't really tie in to the circut with the speed switch, capacitor, and Fwd/Rv switch. 2) there is no diagram or schematic on the inside of the fan.

Old 08-11-04, 04:02 PM
sjhoffman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

thankyou, i'll try to tell you a little better what I did. 1) the speed switch housing was broken because someone tried to jump to change the speed. 2) when the outside of the switch broke, the chain would no longer pull down so I decided to replace the switch. Nothing electrical broke at all. 3) The only wiring in the fan I messed with was the speed switch, I moved the wires one at a time to the corresponding switch. Now the fan won't work at all. Please help.

Old 08-11-04, 04:49 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Is this an exact replacement switch? Are you trying to install a switch different than the original? Most three speed switches are four wire and are labeled at each wire position on the switch i.e. L 1 2 3. Did you keep track of the wire colors and where they went on the old switch? What are the wire colors going to the switch? I suppose you could ohm out the wires to determine the speed positions. How is the new switch labeled where the wires connect? .....RL

Old 08-11-04, 05:14 PM
sjhoffman
Visiting Guest
The switch is the exact same switch that was in the fan with the same 4 positions as the old switch the L is hot from the plug (Black) the 1 is the first lead off the capacitor(Black) the 2 is the second lead off the capacitor (Blue) and 3 is red and goes to the bottom/center of the Fwd/Rv switch...sjhoffman

Old 08-11-04, 07:57 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Did you disconnect the 6 wire plug? If so make sure the plug is oriented correctly (it may be made to go together only one way). By this I mean the wires should be white male to white female, black to black, brown to brown, blue to blue, black to red and black to red.....RL

Old 08-11-04, 09:11 PM
sjhoffman
Visiting Guest
I did disconnect the plug so I wouldn't have to rewire the switch on the ladder, but the plug is designed so it can only go back together one way. 4 of the connections are round and 2 are square...sjhoffman

Old 08-12-04, 12:22 PM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
If you wired the new switch exactly the same as the old then.
1. you have a loose connection
or
2. the new switch is defective.

Old 08-12-04, 02:05 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Joed is correct only thing it can be is the switch or wiring connections at the switch. Do you know how to test for voltage or continuity in order to determine if your switch is working?....RL.....

Last edited by Rlfrazee; 08-12-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 05:53 PM
sjhoffman
Visiting Guest
At first I went down and got a replacement 3-speed switch and installed it and the fan didn't work. So I figured I got a bad switch and went down and got another. That didn't work either. So then I went out and got the exact same switch which was unnessesary because it was a double layer switch with eight holes into it. I knew I didn't need a double switch but I wanted to match it exactly because I was already having problems. It was used because this has already been repaired before. 2) I sparked the capacitor during installation of the new switch, I checked continuity on both leads from the top of the capacitor and they were fine. Other than that I haven't checked anything else in the circuit with my VOM can you give me a brief description of how to do that? Also is it possible that the capacitor is no good even though it has continuity? I bled it dry with my VOM, does it need time to recharge? Thanks for all of everybody's help!!! sjhoffman

Old 08-12-04, 08:40 PM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Ok to check the continuity of the switch disconnect the 6 wire plug. Set your vom on ohms touch one probe to the pin or pin hole that power goes to the switch at the plug end. Pull the chain to put fan on low speed setting, then trace the low speed wire to the plug and touch the other probe of the vom to pin the low speed wire connects. You should have continuity. Pull the chain again to medium, check as before. Same for high. If you show continuity on all wires then you have some other problem besides the switch. If you have a tic tester that only needs to be placed next to a wire to check for voltage this would be a real quick way to see if voltage is present in the wires as you pull the chain for the different speeds. Just make sure you dont have it near a known hot wire or it will read it also. These testers are available at local home centers or hardware stores for around 10 bucks. Do not check continuity with power present in the wire you are checking this will damage your vom. Since you can disconnect this plug this should not be a concern. Lets us know what you find.....RL

You have not damaged the capacitor only discharged it. Be glad it didnt shock the ....... out of you...

Last edited by Rlfrazee; 08-12-04 at 09:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: