Old Electrical Ends

Old 08-11-04, 05:58 AM
mc123
Visiting Guest
Old Electrical Ends

I have a handyman who just ended an electrical line with just electrical tape and put it back into the wall. Normally the people who have been doing the work have been using wireguards. How safe is it to just use electrical tape? I am at the point of making him redo it.

Old 08-11-04, 06:07 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
As a termination, I would prefer to see wire nuts placed on the wires before they are replaced in the box.

Old 08-11-04, 06:12 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What do you mean "put it back into the wall?"

To properly terminate a live line requires a permanently accessible junction box. Permanently accessible means a box with a a cover over it that you can get to. It cannot be buried behind drywall.

To terminate the wires inside the box is done with wire nuts. One wire nut is twisted over each hot and return wire. The ground wires would be attached together (if more than one) and then attached to a metal box, or left open in a plastic box.

If your handyman terminated the wires in a box which is accessible but just used electrical tape instead of wire nuts, I would not get overly concerned. However, if he stuffed the cable back into the wall with no box, or the boix is not permanently accassible then I would have him redo it. I would then never use this person for electrical work again.

Old 08-11-04, 01:16 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
What Racraft said 100%.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: