wiring for towel warming rack in bathroom

Old 08-11-04, 11:08 AM
mattgg
Visiting Guest
wiring for towel warming rack in bathroom

I'm installing a towel warming rack in a bathroom. The easiest place to pull power from is an outlet on the other side of the wall I'm putting the rack on. That outlet is in a bedroom. My plan is to change the bedroom outlet to a GFCI and run a new cable from the load side of the GFCI to the bathroom side of the wall. I'll pigtail the line side so that all other downstream outlets aren't GFCI protected (so I won't lose power to the rest of the bedroom if the towel warmer has a nuisance trip).

Is it okay to wire a bathroom accessory from a non-bathroom circuit? There won't be a new outlet in the bathroom, just the hardwired towel warmer, so there's no chance of someone plugging a hairdryer into this shared circuit.

The towel warmer draws 80 watts, so it's no worse than adding a new light to the circuit. If this plan isn't allowed, I'll fish a cable from the bathroom's outlet but that will be a lot more work.

Old 08-11-04, 11:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm no electrician but it sounds exactly like what an electrician did for us for a point of use water heater. BTW, what kind of towel warmer and where did you buy it, we've wanted one since we had one at a place we spent a couple of weeks at in France last year but have been too busy lately to investigate.

Thanks

Frank

Old 08-11-04, 11:55 AM
mattgg
Visiting Guest
It's a Warmrails HW480. I bought it from comforthouse.com. I think the European ones get much hotter than this one. Everything I read about Warmrails says that it is good for drying the towels, but they don't end up very warm. We just want to dry the towels between uses, so it should work fine for us.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: