old service entrance cable?

Old 08-11-04, 02:34 PM
old service entrance cable?

I live in an 80 year old house in Wash DC. Its a row house. I have a standard underground service line from the alley to the meter outside the house and then the panel inside the house. I noticed yesterday that a 3 inch or so thick metal conduit runs under the back porch from one neighbors house through mine, to the next neighbors house. There is a metal box along this run in my house that is 5 inched wide, 7 inches tall and 4 inches deep. Inside is some very thick electrical cables, similar in size to the new service cable. They are hot. Is it possible that this is an old service cable suppling power to each house and was never turned off by the utility?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-04, 09:43 AM
I advise you to notify the utility company, and ( if possible) the local Authority that enforces Building & Saftey Codes, and anyone who is responsible for enforcing the National Electric Code in your area.

Your brief description suggests contractor- installed conductors connected at some point to utility conductors.

$2,000,000,000,000,000 pours into Washington D.C. annualy--- for that amount , Somebody should be able to do Something in D.C.

"If someone gets Something for Nothing, someone else gets Nothing for Something"

Old 08-12-04, 02:50 PM
Light4u2
Visiting Guest
One of two things could be happening. Both of which sound scary, fishy, as well as could be dangerous. First I would check and see if the power that is supplied is that of your own. You could be servicing some on eles's address, kinda like stealing cable. One way to see is if there is a main breaker, or a disconnect switch that you can "throw" and just see if anything happens to your neighbors. If so call the power company. The other thing is that those three town homes could have been owned by one person, and rented out thus providing power to all three homes and the land lord collecting rent and power, and never returned to the same. Could be dead or cut off circuits at those homes now but never de-energized. Either case, contact the power company to examine and re-route that distribution.

Old 08-12-04, 07:34 PM
Update

I will call the utility to get thier input. I ran a quick test tonight. I tunred off the main circuit for teh whole house and that servcie cable was still hot. Its not my power.

I can follow the metal conduit from one side of my house to the other and nothing branches off of it. One cable runs from one neighbors rowhouse into my house and attaches in the large box to another cable that just runs to the next rowhouse.

I highly suspect its an old service cable before the back porches were enclosed. For some reason it was never turned off. I wonder is some neighor along the row of 20 or so rowhouses is stealing power or if this service cable actually is powering someone's house on the block legally. Either way I don't think its right to have a utility line run though my house. Its in metal coduit, so its presumably safe, but its also my property. They have a right of way in the alley. I'll post back after I hear from the utility.

Old 08-16-04, 12:32 PM
Finally talked to the engineering division for the utility. They confirmed the metal conduit and box are the original service line for the row of houses. Out of 20 or so houses, 4 still use that line so I'm stuck with it.