Wiring Questions

Old 08-12-04, 08:35 AM
mick1
Visiting Guest
Wiring Questions

I took down three fluorescent lights in my kitchen to replace them. I also took out a wall that housed 2 of the three switches. This must be early on the circuit because when I disconnected them it cut the rest of the power on that circuit. There are 2 seperate wires coming out of the ceilling that have one black, one red and one white, I connected the black to the black, white to the white, and red to the red to reestablish power for the rest of that circuit as a quick fix - it worked. But now, I would like to just have these all on the same switch, but am not sure how to reconnect them to get all working on one switch. If this is too vague, sorry, I don't know much of the lingo. If too complicated, I'll be forced to pull out the wallet, but if it is an easy fix, I'd rather save the dough for beer for my brother who helped me tear down the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-04, 08:44 AM
Are all of these lights on the same circuit? Please describe the wiring at each switch. Describe the wiring in detail, as you did with the lights. How many cables, what color wires are in each cable, how the wires are connected to each other and/ or to the switch, etc.

What do you intend to do with the wires and switches that were in the wall you removed?

Old 08-12-04, 08:58 AM
"Took down 3 flousescent fixtures"-----

We need to know what cables/wires these fixtures were connected to-- where the fixtures wired to outlet-boxes?

One 3-wire cable could have a Black & White "Feed-In" pair to the switch outlet box with the Red wire as a "switch-leg" connected to a fixture.

The other 3-wire cable could have a Black & White "Feed-Out" pair, and a Red wire as a "switch-leg" to a 2nd fixture.

This should't be too complicated if all the switches are single-pole.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!

Old 08-12-04, 10:19 AM
mick1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick replies.

The lights are on the same circuit and each were controlled by a seperate switch. I actually wouldn't mind having them all on the same switch, which is in the front of the kitchen. The first light (from the removed switch) is wired with one black and two twisted whites. The second light (from the removed switch), one red and 2 twisted whites and the third which is working on the front switch is one black and 2 twisted whites (I am going off memory on the wiring on the lights - I'm at work)

There were two switches on the removed wall. I can't remember how they were wired to the boxes (I should have marked them!) There are now 2 wires that i have hanging down in a channel on the wall and I have them connected to eachother red to red. black to black, white to white. Is there any way to connect these in a different way to have them all work on the front switch?

Old 08-12-04, 12:23 PM
Provide a complete description of all the wires in each junction box. That information is necessary to answer your question.