Washing Machine Grounding

Old 08-12-04, 09:54 AM
TexasGunner
Visiting Guest
Installing Washing Machine Grounding

I have an old house that has 2 line wiring. I am replacing my Washing Machine and the old plug is 2 outlet and the cord off the washing machine
is for three outlet. I can replace the outlet from 2 to 3 if I need to.

I am worried about the machine being grounded. If I use an adapter to plug the cord from the machine in and the machine has a grounding wire which is attached from the machine to be clamped to the cold water pipe. Will this be sufficient grounding or should I do something else??

Any information will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-04, 08:55 AM
Much depends on the type of cable that connects to the receptacle outlet-box. It it's a metal armored cable connected to a metal outlet-box, or a non-metallic cable with a bare Grounding wire, than you can connect a 3-slot Grounding-type receptacle.

If it's a non-metallic cable without the bare Grounding wire, then run a #12 Green THHN stranded wire from the receptacle to where the underground water-service line protrudes thu the foundation. This presumes the water-sevice line is metal, and there is an existing Grounding-conductor clamped to the water-line

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!

Old 08-13-04, 09:06 AM
You MUST properly ground the recepticle outlet.

If the recepticle outlet is wired with a ground wire, then go ahead and replace the two prong recepticle with a three prong recepticle, hooking up all three wires.

If the outlet is not grounded then you need to add a ground wire. Either replace the cable with a new cable or provide a separate ground wire. The separate ground wire needs to be connected to the panel ground buss, or it can be connected to the cold water pipes at the same place that the main panel is connected.

Do not leave the ground unconnected, and do not leave it connected to the cold water pipe at any other location (such as right near the washing machine).

Old 08-13-04, 12:21 PM
If you don't have a ground you can install a GFCI receptacle. It is a legal to instal 3 prong GFCI on a 2 wire ungrounded cable.

Old 08-13-04, 12:44 PM
Washing machines (and other appliances with motors) don't cohabitate well with GFCI recepticles.

Old 08-13-04, 01:21 PM
I agree with Joe. Although there is a chance the washing machine will trip the GFCI, it's certainly worth the $15 to find out before embarking on a much more costly solution.

Old 08-13-04, 10:59 PM
diydon
Visiting Guest
Class B GFCI

Originally Posted by John Nelson
I agree with Joe. Although there is a chance the washing machine will trip the GFCI, it's certainly worth the $15 to find out before embarking on a much more costly solution.
They make a Class B GFCI to protect equipment...
http://www.ul.com/regulators/ode/0201.pdf
Trips at 30ma instead of 10ma.

-don

Old 08-14-04, 08:46 AM
But does a Class B GFCI allow the legal installation of an ungrounded 3-hole receptacle? I always thought the answer was no.

Old 08-14-04, 11:29 AM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
John I believe you are correct. Class B GFCI's are to be used only for swimming pool circuits. The article says that where GFCI's are required by the Nec, as in ungrounded wiring, none of the other devices are acceptable replacements.....least thats how I read it......RL