Old House Wiring

Old 08-12-04, 07:12 PM
jeffm591
Visiting Guest
Old House Wiring

I live in a house built in the 1940's. The Romex used back then did not have a ground wire. Thus the recepticals in the house also are not grounded. As we upgraded much of the rooms new wire was run and new recepticals were installed but there are a few rooms still with the old wiring. Access to run new Romex is next to impossible. I realize that just replacing the recepticals with grounded ones that the box still would not be grounded. What is normally done in a case like this?

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-04, 07:57 PM
You have several options:

(1) Do nothing. This option is more realistic than you might think. Unless you have something with a three-prong plug, there's not much point in doing anything.

(2) If you just need newer receptacles, or receptacles in a different color, then you still can buy new receptacles without a grounding hole.

(3) Protect the receptacles with GFCI. This does not provide grounding, but it does improve safety and make it legal to install three-hole receptacles.

(4) Do the impossible and replace the wiring. Of course, it's not impossible. It's just a bit harder than other rooms. In fact, it's likely easier than you think, especially for someone experienced in doing this.

Old 08-18-04, 07:02 PM
jeffm591
Visiting Guest
old house wiring - thanks

Thanks for your help - I most likely will do nothing - Maybe I will go the GFI route but I know I will not change the wiring at this time - Thanks so much for your help

Jeff