Moving the service panel - is this possible?

Old 08-13-04, 02:17 PM
Moving the service panel - is this possible?

A house I own has a 100 amp service panel on the north end of the house. The supply from the power pole in the back yard is on the south side, which means the main power line hangs diagonally across the yard. I'd like to put a swimming pool and patio cover in the back yard but have been told that this is not allowed because if there were some sort of failure, the line would fall in the water and fry the occupants. To my question - I'd like to run the supply to the south end of the house (new 200 amp panel). From that new panel, could I run the supply over to the 100 amp panel (effectively turning it into a sub panel) or do I have to have the new 200 amp panel installed and then have the whole dang house rewired? Your insights are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-04, 02:30 PM
Or you could ask the electric company to run the line underground.

Old 08-13-04, 02:32 PM
You do not need to rewire the whole house. What you would have to do is to change the wiring in the existing panel. As a sub panel it would need to be wired so that the neutrals and ground wires are separated. As a main panel they probably are not separated.

Are you suggesting a 200 amp main panel for future expansion, or are you suggesting that since you will be installing a new service it may as well be larger?

You do need to worry about voltage drop. What is the distance from the new main panel to the existing main panel (the new sub panel)?

Old 08-13-04, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Are you suggesting a 200 amp main panel for future expansion, or are you suggesting that since you will be installing a new service it may as well be larger?
Kinda both. Eventually I want to put on an addition and I figure if I'm going to this expense, might as well spend a little more now and save myself later.

Originally Posted by racraft
You do need to worry about voltage drop. What is the distance from the new main panel to the existing main panel (the new sub panel)?
The new distance is about 50-60 feet.

Thanks for all your insights, MUCH appreciated!

Old 08-13-04, 03:17 PM
diydon
Visiting Guest
SubPanel it

Voltage drop at 50-60' will be nil.

Would put a 200A Main Breaker panel at the new location. Then make the existing panel a 100A sub-panel. ie feed it with #2SER Alum back to your new location and put a 100A breaker in the new 200A panel to feed it.

Dont forget when you move the service you will have relocate the service grounds... ie the ground rod and the water pipe ground will need to be upsized and connected to the main service... not the subpanel...
200A service requires a #4 copper (or #2 alum) for grounds.

Cheers.
-don

Old 08-13-04, 03:25 PM
Thank you very, very much. I'll contract somebody to do it (I'm an idgit when it comes to these sorts of things) but it's nice to know it can be done.

Old 08-13-04, 04:51 PM
(I'm an idgit when it comes to these sorts of things)
QUITE the contrary, I would think an "idgit" would know he doesn't know how to do it, and try anyway. I would say you just have never had occasion to learn how to do this safely, and realizing that, decided against the do-it-yourself approach.

Old 08-13-04, 07:45 PM
diydon
Visiting Guest
I 2nd that motion! You are not an idget!!

I agree its a "great" idea to contract this to a professional. Electrical do-it-yourself can kill you or your family... so if you are not SURE how.. don't.
This is one of the most complicated electical projects you'll find around the house.

Get three bids... Take the guy in the middle.. Ensure they include an electical permit and cover all utilities relocation charges (if any).

Don't pay them until they job has passed inspection!

-don