Retrofit project-novice

Old 08-14-04, 08:04 PM
Question Retrofit project-novice

I just bought an over-the-range microwave and I am trying to install a new circuit that runs from my breaker box in my basement to my kitchen, which is upstairs. This is an unfinished basement. Everything was going ok until I ran into a small problem. I decided to just run the cable through the same hole in which my range connection run through. It is a small hole that runs through the floorboard and through the stud upstairs. The wire moved through effortlessly, but when the wite finally got to the top it was in a loop and the end of the wire is snagged on something behind the drywall. It seems impossible to pull it out. I have tried virtually everything, so my question is what is the best way to get around this? Should I just cut the loop since I have enough wire to wire the receptacle, and then just push all the excess back behind the studs. Is this a code violation. I didn't read anywhere that it was, and is this safe? Or should I make a small hole in the drywall and see if I can try and see where the problem is and try and work it through? If it is safe I would prefer to just leave it alone if I can. I also tried to use that wire pulling lube. That didn't help either. Somebody help me??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-04, 01:01 AM
Are you talking about leaving a scrap piece of wire, connected to nothing at either end, inside your wall? Sure, go for it.

Are you sure you know which side of the loop is snagged?

Old 08-15-04, 03:12 AM
Yes I am talking about just leaving the extra wire not connected to anything behind the wall. Ok that's cools I will do that, and yes I am pretty certain which one is the correct end, but I will double check and triple check before cutting. Thanks.