Broken screw holes (for devices) in plastic boxes

Old 08-15-04, 08:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
Broken screw holes (for devices) in plastic boxes

I have a few non-metallic (plastic) single gang boxes that have broken screw holes where the device is screwed into the box. In each case only one side has a broken off screw hole. This prevents the device and wall plate from fitting properly against the wall or baseboard. Is there a simple fix for this?

I guess I could run a small wood screw through one of the holes on the outer most part of the device's frame into the baseboard wood beside the box, which would securely hold the device in the proper position. However, I also have a wall mounted box on a sheetrock wall, which I don't have anything firm (like wood) to attach the device.

There must be a fix or method of repair for this without replacing the box itself, which would cause damage to the baseboard and sheetrock. Any advice would be appreciative.

Kooter

Old 08-15-04, 11:34 AM
sara
Visiting Guest
It's called an old work or remodel or cut in box. You can buy these at any hardware store. They come in different styles but all work basically the same, they have a clamp system which when tightened clamps to the sheetrock, paneling or even siding. You take the original box out by turning off the power! finding which side of the stud it is attached to, take the device (switch or receptical) wires loose and any clamps if it,s a metal box, push with a large screwdriver in the back of the box opposite the stud and pry the box loose from the stud, again with a big screwdriver. the goal is to push the edge of the box that is not attached to the stud behind the sheet rock so that we cause no damage to the sheetrock sometimes this requires a little force, but as you push and pry ,with a little patience you can do this. you may not, and in most cases cannot get the box out of the wall with out doing damage to the sheetrock. leave it in the wall it won't hurt a thing. you may have to adust the hole size a little, most 1 gang cut in boxes need 2 and 3/8 "wide x 3 and 3/4 "tall. start the wires in the new box before you install it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: